Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Conversion kits for 10 gallon IGLOO cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Conversion kits for 10 gallon IGLOO cooler?

Hi everyone.

I am trying to find a way to convert my 10 gal. Igloo cooler (model nr. 4101 which is red and yellow) into a MLT.

I've seen the thread about Rubbermaid, but as a newbie, wasn't sure if the dimensions and fittings would be the same.

The site below has different kits for Igloo and Rubbermaid, and I am confused.
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon...re_p_2865.html

I really don't wanna spend an extra 40-50 bucks for this. Is it ok to follow the instructions for Rubbermaid and build an Igloo MLT?

Thanks for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Many build the one from FlyGuy. I built one similar to BierMuncher's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...us/5346729576/

It's always fun and rewarding to go DIY. Good Luck...

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/sets/72157633528473769/detail/

Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarikapak View Post
Hi everyone.

I am trying to find a way to convert my 10 gal. Igloo cooler (model nr. 4101 which is red and yellow) into a MLT.

I've seen the thread about Rubbermaid, but as a newbie, wasn't sure if the dimensions and fittings would be the same.

The site below has different kits for Igloo and Rubbermaid, and I am confused.
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon...re_p_2865.html

I really don't wanna spend an extra 40-50 bucks for this. Is it ok to follow the instructions for Rubbermaid and build an Igloo MLT?

Thanks for all the help.
You can build it right from the thread you linked and just adjust to your cooler. I'm guessing the only difference will be the wall thickness or the hole size. So move up from 3/8" parts if the hole is larger or drill it larger if its smaller than that. If its just the wall thickness, then just get a shorter or longer brass nipple.

I made mine from that thread too, and had the same Rubbermaid cooler as in the thread. I still ended up making 5 trips to various hardware stores to get everything to fit right. Just save receipts and packaging and most places will let you exchange parts if you find out you need a different size.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 284

I've thought about replacing the push valve that came w/my cooler. Wonder what HD would say if I walked in w/the cooler and tried to find parts that fit that way?

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
I've thought about replacing the push valve that came w/my cooler. Wonder what HD would say if I walked in w/the cooler and tried to find parts that fit that way?
If the employees at your store are anything like they are at mine, they'll ask you what your building and happily offer to help you find parts or inquire about brewing beer at home once you tell them what your doing.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
I was going to suggest this.

They most likely won't have a problem with it and it beats the hell out of multiple trips to HD...

I have a Rubbermade and an Igloo that I have converted. I made the Rubbermade from Flyguy's parts list. It has been a long time since I did the Igloo, but I had a little trouble with the build.

If I had it to do over I would take it into Home Depot and build it there...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler.

All you need is a kettlevalve: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KETTL...ing-P2374.aspx

Instead of a false bottom I just use a braid. Works great, still get good efficiency: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/38-KE...LVE-P2363.aspx

Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
As a Home Depot Supervisor, I encourage you to bring anything/everything you're working on. Some guys will definitely "point and shoot", but ask if they have a guy that knows everything about everything. Odds are good someone there has helped another customer with brewing builds. I've become the go-to guy when people ask about 1. coolers 2. ball valves 3. stainless braids 4. stainless anything else, and also trained my boss and 2 other dept. heads exactly what's needed to build a MLT from 3 different coolers we offer.

Oh and if they shrug you off, take the online survey and let them know. That gets the right people recognized and the wrong people out.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

The only thing I can say is do NOT order the cooler and conversion kit through Amazon.com.
They source through the usual on line hombebrew supply places, but I ordered the cooler and conversion kit through them since they were one of the better prices on a 10 gallon cooler I found.
When I went to put it all together the stainless nipple was too short. Couple other issues also but that was the big one.

If you've got the cooler I would take it to the hardware store for sure. You know it's all going to work then.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply