Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Continuous sparging?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Willsellout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 914
Default Continuous sparging?

So I was reading today on How to Brew about the types of sparging and in there he explains continuous sparging. I think this is what I did with my last AG brew. Basically I drained the MT out, the poured sparge water in (about 185) in until it went above the grainbed. I started to drain and replaced water as it drained out. I did this until all my sparge water was gone. Is this continous sparging, or am I misunderstanding it? Palmer says it can get you better efficiency sometimes, and on that particular brew I hit 83% efficiency according to brewsmith. So I am wondering whether to keep doing this or just stick with batch sparging?

Thanks!

Dan

__________________
Disgrunt-Aled Brewery
Primary One-empty
Primary Two-Empty
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein
Willsellout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
WOP31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WOP31's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,332
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Or it's called fly sparging, do some searching around here and you will find a bunch of threads on here. and it is a popular concensus that you do get better efficiency.

Cheers

__________________
"Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder,
I'm an [under] forty victim of fate, Arriving too late, arriving too late."
-Jimmy Buffet
WOP31 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,419
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Are you saying you ran off the wort from your mash, filled the tun back up, and then started continuously sparging?

That would be a batch sparge followed by fly sparging which isn't a common technique as far as I know. For continuous or fly-sparging there is no need to drain the tun off completely and then fill it back up...just start running off and keep the water level above the grainbed.

__________________
Baron von BeeGee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Willsellout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
Or it's called fly sparging, do some searching around here and you will find a bunch of threads on here. and it is a popular concensus that you do get better efficiency.

Cheers
OK so continuous and fly are the same thing. It's weird as he says not to worry about sparge arms in it.
From "How to Brew"
"Continuous Sparging usually results in better extractions. The wort is re-circulated and drained until about an inch of wort remains above the grain bed. The sparge water is gently added, as necessary, to keep the fluid at least at that level. The goal is to gradually replace the wort with the water, stopping the sparge when the gravity is 1.008 or when enough wort has been collected, whichever comes first. This method demands more attention by the brewer, but can produce a higher yield."

It has me all mixed up.


Dan
__________________
Disgrunt-Aled Brewery
Primary One-empty
Primary Two-Empty
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein
Willsellout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Willsellout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Are you saying you ran off the wort from your mash, filled the tun back up, and then started continuously sparging?

That would be a batch sparge followed by fly sparging which isn't a common technique as far as I know. For continuous or fly-sparging there is no need to drain the tun off completely and then fill it back up...just start running off and keep the water level above the grainbed.

I drained and then added sparge water until it rose above the grainbed (took about 30 seconds) and then started to drain and added sparge water to keep the level above the bed. The reason I ask is basically because my first AG batch just doesn't taste like anything..and I'm trying to figure out if this was the problem.


Dan
__________________
Disgrunt-Aled Brewery
Primary One-empty
Primary Two-Empty
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein
Willsellout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
WOP31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WOP31's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,332
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
The wort is re-circulated and drained until about an inch of wort remains above the grain bed. The sparge water is gently added, as necessary, to keep the fluid at least at that level. The goal is to gradually replace the wort with the water, stopping the sparge when the gravity is 1.008 or when enough wort has been collected, whichever comes first. This method demands more attention by the brewer, but can produce a higher yield.
Well that is because he is talking about a recirculating mash and then fly sparging. you will need a pump to do a recirculating mash. The way you did it sounds alright to me, next time don't let the water level drop below the grain bed, not sure if you did or not just sounded like you did to me. when you do that you run a better risk of getting stuck or channeling, unless you are batch sparging. Try to maintain about an inch or so above the grains, you will have to play with the HLT and Mash Tun outputs at the same time in order to get your flow rates down. I belive you want to be draining at about a pint/quart a minute.

cheers
__________________
"Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder,
I'm an [under] forty victim of fate, Arriving too late, arriving too late."
-Jimmy Buffet
WOP31 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Willsellout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
Well that is because he is talking about a recirculating mash and then fly sparging. you will need a pump to do a recirculating mash. The way you did it sounds alright to me, next time don't let the water level drop below the grain bed, not sure if you did or not just sounded like you did to me. when you do that you run a better risk of getting stuck or channeling, unless you are batch sparging. Try to maintain about an inch or so above the grains, you will have to play with the HLT and Mash Tun outputs at the same time in order to get your flow rates down. I belive you want to be draining at about a pint/quart a minute.

cheers

I think from now on I will just batch sparge. It seems I didn't understand how it went. I also think I sparged too quickly. I will definitely correct these on my next brew.

thanks for clarification!


Dan
__________________
Disgrunt-Aled Brewery
Primary One-empty
Primary Two-Empty
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein
Willsellout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Evanston IL
Posts: 1,864
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Nice avatar, wop31!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
Or it's called fly sparging, do some searching around here and you will find a bunch of threads on here. and it is a popular concensus that you do get better efficiency.
I've also seen it written that batch sparging can give you HIGHER efficiency. And in my extremely limited experience (2 batch sparges, ~10 fly), I've found that to be true, though not enough to make me care one way or the other.

I find fly to be less effort, but I use a sparge arm...just set the output and inflow valves, and let it go for 45 minutes. Batch is faster but requires more intervention (add, stir, vorlauf, let it rip; repeat). YMMV, depending on your setup.
__________________
No signature required.
FlyingHorse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
continuous carbing? krops13 Cider Forum 1 08-31-2009 04:07 AM
Continuous hopping IBUís? Jaybird General Techniques 17 12-13-2008 05:31 AM
Portable stand ideas for continuous sparging? solbergg Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-29-2008 07:24 PM
How To: Continuous Hopping? dirtymike1 General Techniques 8 04-02-2008 02:52 PM
Continuous hopping SteveM General Techniques 3 03-31-2008 09:08 PM