Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Consistently low efficiency - what's my problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Beersmith is a tool to help you brew the way you want to brew. It is NOT instructions on how to brew. You get to decide that for yourself.
I have done 2 mashes and my efficiency has also be low. I also followed Beersmith to a T with the amount of water etc. I have become frustrated with Beersmith and its mash settings. They don't really match my setup.

I a using about 12 lbs of grain in a 5 gallon tun. I was using a bag but I have since made valve and braid which I think will improve my efficiency as more grain is getting wet. I am also going to condition my grain before I run it through my Corona mill.

During my second attempt I did not stir the sparge and sparged until I met my volume and did not take Gravity readings for first runnings and sparge. I now know to do that. I also always keep to LME or DME on hand in order to increase fermentables until I improve my efficiency.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

How long does the sparge take?

I have found that with larger grain bills, sparging too quickly causes a reduction in efficiency.

I also found that when I started doing a mash out at the end of the mash, my efficiency increased by 10%. I initially thought this was because the sparge temperature was in the high 160's rather than the low 150's. I now think it is because I stir the mash out water in really well before starting the sparge. I use about 1 pint of near boiling water per lb grain for the mash out.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6 View Post
So, do I need to adjust the amount of water that I'm using in my mash - ignore beersmith and calculate my own, or is it more likely to be an issue with the crush?
99% of the time, it's the crush. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't decide on your mash ratio on your own, and then enter that number into Beersmith.

BTW, you said you use a pH balancer...I assume that's 5.2? That's widely documented to not be effective on most water types. Unless you actually check the pH after using it, yo really won't know if it works for you. In addition, it adds a weird flavor to the beer IMO.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had a lot of efficiency problems in the past becuase I was using water softened by ion exchange. Sorted now, I use RO

Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
musikguru6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
99% of the time, it's the crush. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't decide on your mash ratio on your own, and then enter that number into Beersmith.

BTW, you said you use a pH balancer...I assume that's 5.2? That's widely documented to not be effective on most water types. Unless you actually check the pH after using it, yo really won't know if it works for you. In addition, it adds a weird flavor to the beer IMO.
Yep, it's 5.2. Didn't know it imparts a weird flavor. Might try my next batch without it. Using filtered city water in Dallas. Need to test the water sometime, but it can't be that bad.

Will also be experimenting with my mash ratios, see if that doesn't help.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I broke out the dreaded rolling pin for my last batch and, one pound at a time, crushed up my grains to about a 50% almost powder looking substance. Low and behold 90% efficiency!!!

I will continue to order my grains crushed, but I have a grain mill ordered to avoid the rolling pin.

I too have been having low efficiencies (mid 60's) with pre-crushed grains.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6 View Post
Yep, it's 5.2. Didn't know it imparts a weird flavor. Might try my next batch without it. Using filtered city water in Dallas. Need to test the water sometime, but it can't be that bad.

Will also be experimenting with my mash ratios, see if that doesn't help.
The buffer in 5.2 that supposedly keeps the mash pH correct is based on sodium. Too much sodium in beer will give it a weirdly malty flavor.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply