Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Consistent off flavor in all my homebrews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
brewczyk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Consistent off flavor in all my homebrews

Hello All,

I've been brewing for about 2 years now and have made about 10 beers. Every beer I've made (wheather extract or all grain) have all had a consistent after taste that you don't find in craft beer. I wish I could describe it but I can't. To me it taste like "homebrew after taste." I've taken the following into account. Am I missing anything?

1) Water chemistry is good. My Chicago tap water just needs to be treated with a campden tablet.

2) My mash temps are always on point and I've never had a stuck sparge

3) I can usually get to just about a rolling boil. Usually 210 is as high as I can get

4) I ensure the proper amount of yeast cells are pitched (I use starters for liquid yeast) I always Aerate my wort before pitching

5) I have the ability to completely control my fermentation. I usually ferment at 66 for regular Ales. I increase the temp for a few degrees as the weeks progress

6) I normally transfer to secondary and then cold crash for 4 days

7) I bottle for 2 weeks. From pitching yeast to drinking is usually 6 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
brewczyk
Recipes 

Default Off taste in all my home brews

Hello All,

I've been brewing for about 2 years now and have made about 10 beers. Every beer I've made (wheather extract or all grain) have all had a consistent after taste that you don't find in craft beer. I wish I could describe it but I can't. To me it taste like "homebrew after taste." I've taken the following into account. Am I missing anything?

1) Water chemistry is good. My Chicago tap water just needs to be treated with a campden tablet.

3) I can usually get to just about a rolling boil. Usually 210 is as high as I can get

4) I ensure the proper amount of yeast cells are pitched (I use starters for liquid yeast) I always Aerate my wort before pitching

5) I have the ability to completely control my fermentation. I usually ferment at 66 for regular Ales. I increase the temp for a few degrees as the weeks progress

Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

This may be a stupid suggestion, but have you ever tried to make a batch with bought water (RO, for instance) to see if the flavor goes away?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
jro238
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As shaky said, trying new water might be a good idea. Also, are you getting all of your ingredients from the same store? If it is a local place then they might not have very fresh stuff.

Any more specific info about the flavor would be very helpful.

My GE 7.0 cu.ft. Keezer Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-h...-build-327739/

Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
brewczyk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jro238 View Post
As shaky said, trying new water might be a good idea. Also, are you getting all of your ingredients from the same store? If it is a local place then they might not have very fresh stuff.

Any more specific info about the flavor would be very helpful.
I've tried R/O water as well. No improvement. I've also shopped at 3 different brew supply stores. Most in Chicago have a very high turnover rate so product always seems to be freshy fresh.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewczyk View Post
Hello All,

For starters you are going to have to give a more exacting description beyond "homebrew after taste".

Quote:
What does "good" mean? Again there is a severe lack of specifics here. I have seen many posts from homebrewers in the Great Lakes area and the one constant seems to be a high residual alkalinity. Pleas post your water profile. Without knowing what the actual numbers are it is extremely difficult to give you any meaningful feedback.

Quote:
Problems in that area are unlikely to cause any unusual aftertastes.

Quote:
Please see above. Boiling is boiling. 212F is sea level. What is your elevation? A thermometer calibration is never a bad thing.

Quote:
4) I ensure the proper amount of yeast cells are pitched (I use starters for liquid yeast) I always Aerate my wort before pitching.

None of that sounds out of the ordinary.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Early8
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

You mentioned that you get " just about a rolling boil" at 210. Are you actually boiling?

Also, are you diluting your wort after the boil? A full batch boil will make a huge difference, BTDT.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I recommend not raising ferment temps. I like to keep towards the low end as the wort temp is usually 3-5 degrees warmer then your set temp.
Don't secondary let it sit 2-3 weeks in the primary (it will help "clean" up some off flavor profiles) then cold crash.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 565 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

I've been brewing for about 2 years now and have made about 10 beers.
You are expecting a lot if you hope to compete with craft brewers after 10 brews especially when stretched out over 2 years.

Quote:
This is a telling statement. Your water may be good for a beer or 2 with only a Campden tablet but it is certainly not good for all styles with only a Campden tablet. Water needs to be adjusted to the style being brewed and in most cases acid needs to be added to attain proper mash pH. But in some cases it is alkali that is required. Depends on the beer. Control of mash pH is a sine qua non for good beer. It is often the difference between blah beer and ah beer.

Quote:
If you are at 210 °F at sea level your boil is not rolling. There are definite advantages to a good vigorous boil. Your marginal boil alone is probably not wholly responsible for your lackluster brews but could be a contributor.

Quote:
Aeration isn't going to do it for most yeast strains. Oxygenation is usually required.

Quote:
It is the usual practice to hold fermentation temperature until terminal gravity is reached and then reduce temperature, either gradually or in a crash, depending on the style of beer being brewed. Some brewers will raise for a day or two in order to eliminate diacetyl in lagers but this is followed by a crash.

It is very hard to diagnose what your problem(s) might be beyond lack of experience. Best thing for you to do is rub elbows with some experienced brewers. Join a club.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I just had my first "off-taste" that was not part of my brewing regime. It was a sanitation problem. I did not rinse my cleaning agents properly. If you could describe the taste as i.e. Chemical, sour, cardboard, etc. It would point in the direction of the cause.

Quick Reply