*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > consistantly low OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
adworld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
I agree. I'd vorlauf and drain, batch, stirring before each vorlauf. No need to mash out. Just make sure sparge water raises grain bed sufficiently
ok so vorlauf and drain then add sparge water stir vorlauf and drain till it hit my starting boil volume. this correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adworld View Post
ok so vorlauf and drain then add sparge water stir vorlauf and drain till it hit my starting boil volume. this correct?
Yes. Take a sample preboil, cool it, then see what your gravity is while you boil. If it's low, boil off more. Better to have less beer that's on-point for numbers than more watered-down beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
ScottD13
Recipes 

When I buy from Northerbrewer I usually get a lower efficiency then from other vendors such as BMW. I don't care much for their crush...but that's just me.

Are you doing anything to your water? This could be adding to your problem. Poland Spring, as indicated in your recipe, has very little minerals in it. What's you mash ph? When I moved 3 years ago I had to start playing around with my water as I have well water that is no good for brewing.

I moved to distilled with salt additions and once I started monitoring and measuring my ph, and adjusting as needed with either 5.2 buffer or acids I got a 10% increase in my mash efficiency.

I now build my water and add about 1/2 the recommended 5.2 buffer and consistently hit 80% when I batch sparge and 70% for no-sparge.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
adworld
Recipes 

Quote:

Yes. Take a sample preboil, cool it, then see what your gravity is while you boil. If it's low, boil off more. Better to have less beer that's on-point for numbers than more watered-down beer.
makes sense and agree 100%

Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
adworld
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD13
When I buy from Northerbrewer I usually get a lower efficiency then from other vendors such as BMW. I don't care much for their crush...but that's just me.

Are you doing anything to your water? This could be adding to your problem. Poland Spring, as indicated in your recipe, has very little minerals in it. What's you mash ph? When I moved 3 years ago I had to start playing around with my water as I have well water that is no good for brewing.

I moved to distilled with salt additions and once I started monitoring and measuring my ph, and adjusting as needed with either 5.2 buffer or acids I got a 10% increase in my mash efficiency.

I now build my water and add about 1/2 the recommended 5.2 buffer and consistently hit 80% when I batch sparge and 70% for no-sparge.
to be completely honest I have not taken a mash ph OR the ph of my Poland Spring water so it seems to me that this is where I want to start and see if I find anything off here. do you all agree?

my stupidity for not checking the spring water it just tastes so good I figured why bother

EDIT: I think I will also incorporate the batch process tri9er mentioned as well

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #26
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, distilled water may have more minerals than poland spring will. Taking PH of the water and adding minerals until it's where you need it would be helpful. Then if you keep using the same water you'll know the ratio of minerals needed each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
adworld
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, distilled water may have more minerals than poland spring will. Taking PH of the water and adding minerals until it's where you need it would be helpful. Then if you keep using the same water you'll know the ratio of minerals needed each time.
I think Poland spring has a distilled version of their water. I'll check it out.

what is optimum range of ph for water and for mash? there a calculator out there for finding this?

Quick Reply