New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Considering a brew purchase - 7.5 gal turkey fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
RootsUltimate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Considering a brew purchase - 7.5 gal turkey fryer

So I've been wanting to slowly transition to AG equipment. I started about a year ago with extract batches and went to PM shortly after. I'm still using the starter equipment with a 5 gal stove top pot but did build an immersion chiller already.

I thought now would be a good time to pick up a propane burner system (post Thanksgiving turkey fryers). So the question is, would I be better off spending more money now for a better system, or go with the basic stuff?

I only make 5gal batches and don't see going to 10 any time soon. I'm also still in grad school and therefore not rolling in money...

The system I found is only $50 and comes with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. I'm mostly concerned about the pot - is it large enough and will the aluminum be too thin? But the stand is also short and don't want that to be a pain. Larger standing systems with a side shelf or a double burner system are twice as much and do not come with a pot which could run another $80-100 depending on size and material.

I'm clearly leaning towards the turkey fryer system for the savings, but don't want to be disappointed that I can't do full boils for 5 gal batches in a 7.5 gal pot... If I'm going to need a larger thicker pot anyway I'd buy everything in pieces instead of the set.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

7.5gallons is gonna be real tight for a 5 gallon boil, as you'l need to start with at least 6 gallons of wort and thus your liquid level is gonna be very full. if you are watchful though you should be able to prevent a boilover.

you could get a 'better' kettle later, and then use this one as your hot liquid tank.

putting a weldless spigot on the pot may not be a good idea though. these pots are usually really thin even if they are SS, adn the aluminum is probably going to a bit too thin.

of course, you could always rack it after chilling, to the fermenter and avoid pouring or needing a spigot for the short term.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
RootsUltimate
Recipes 

I rack to fermenter currently and wouldn't mind doing that still. Good idea about the HLT.

The pot also looks tall (but I don't have the dimensions) so I might have some extra space for boiling. Using a 5gal pot now I'm pretty used to the tight space...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default $50 sounds nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsUltimate View Post
The system I found is only $50 and comes with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot.
Where'd you find that deal? Retail? I'm looking to get one myself.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
RootsUltimate
Recipes 

I thought retail would have a good price if they wanted to get rid of their thanksgiving overstock, but I haven't seen anything on sale. PelicanSky.com has their system on sale from 60 down to 50. It costs $10 to ship to me (pelican is in GA). But the same product is at target.com for $80 with free shipping...

I might check the stores once more today and see if anything is on sale for less, otherwise I'll probably pick this up.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsUltimate View Post
I might check the stores once more today and see if anything is on sale for less, otherwise I'll probably pick this up.
Also, check around the threads on this site about people's opinions on aluminum vs stainless steel boils. that does seem like a good deal for a burner + pot.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Get a Banjo Classic burner from HD, Ace or Lowes instead for $35 or whatever. It will be far better than a discount turkey fryer burner. Then buy a bigger aluminum pot off the internet. Buying cheap usually results in buying twice (at least it did for me). I now have a great set up with KAB6 and a 15G aluminum pot for about $100. And they will last me a long time. My turkey fryer starter kit bit the dust after about six batches.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bollocks. I love my 7.5 gal setup. Got a SWEET deal from Bass Pro Shops on it. $47 including shipping. Just keep your eye on the pot right at the start of the boil for boilovers and you'll be fine. Fermcap-S (or whatever its called) can help too.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
Buying cheap usually results in buying twice
I agree with this. Although, if you are pressed for money do what you need to do. I'm not sure if you have a Walmart near you. I was in my local Wally yesterday and they had a 32 quart aluminum stock pot (turkey pot) on sale for $18. I thought it was a bit flimsey but would get the job done.

The other thing you might do is search around your local craigslist for someone wanting to sell their old keg. I can typically buy them in my parts either free and usually around $20.
Search youtube for "keg to keggle", and build a nice stainless 15 gallon keggle for cheap.

I would recommend getting a quality burner like the bayou classic sp10 or 14.
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1259783306&sr=8-3

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
I agree with this. Although, if you are pressed for money do what you need to do. I'm not sure if you have a Walmart near you. I was in my local Wally yesterday and they had a 32 quart aluminum stock pot (turkey pot) on sale for $18. I thought it was a bit flimsey but would get the job done.
I've got a walmart pot. Its great.

I was recently in my local Puertorican grocer/liquor store (I live in an area of the city that has giant metal puertorican flags over the streets), and they had 32 qt, 40qt and 58qt aluminum steamers. I think the 58 qt was like $42 and they went down from there.

Quick Reply