Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Confusion about Mash Requirement - Munich

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
SRFeldman79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Confusion about Mash Requirement - Munich

Anyone care to try to clear this confusion up?
I've been told that Munich does not require 2-row to convert to fermentable sugars, by a HBS employee, but I noticed on the Malt Chart in the HBT wiki that it says mash required.
Just curious since I made a beer where either it did not convert or I got less out of the LME than I expected and the converted Munich made up the difference almost perfectably (i.e. I aimed for 1.056, got 1.042, should have gotten about that from the 6lbs of amber LME, but its always possible I got less and got to about 1.042 from the 1lb of munich that was mashed with crystal 55L and victory).

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com
Twitter: BoozyBeggarChi
www.facebook.com/theboozybeggar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do not understand the question. I don't think anything requires 2 row to be rendered fermentable.

Mash means that you keep the grain at 149-154F or so for 45 minutes to an hour. 2 row requires that also.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I know that Munich "can" convert itself, but I've noticed from brews where Munich is my base malt that my efficiencies are significantly lower. Whenever I use a significant amount of Munich now, I make sure there's some 2-row or 6-row also to help the conversion.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

cheezydemon - i didnt mean two row specifically, but my understanding is that some grains can't convert themselves and require something with the proper enzymes, such as 2 row or 6 row.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made an all-munich porter, and the only thing I noticed was a higher than average FG. My efficiency was fine, and there was no 2- or 6-row in there.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Munich has plenty of diastatic power (and then some) to convert its own starches into fermentable sugars. However, you have to mash it to achieve that conversion.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

yeah, see, i thought it didnt have diastatic power because of Papazian, and thus i need to mash it with something that does.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Be careful though, you really should look up the individual Maltster's numbers for Diastatic power.

The rough way that I understand it is when you have numbers around 100 Lintner they do a fair job at self conversion and can help along other malts with less power, even more so with things that go over 100. Where you should take not is if you have a high percentage malt with below 80. What this really means (as I understand it) is that it would theoretically convert given enough time even if your numbers are low and much more rapidly when the numbers are high.

The trick to this is that you have to have an apparatus (usually direct fired mash tun) to keep the enzymes in their sweet spot for the length of time necessary (and observe pH levels). I'd imagine there is some lower cutoff of the amount of enzymes necessary in the malt, but it's probably a combination of factors. I really don't know if they become spent persay or if they still continue working just very slowly? Phil would probably know, I'll ask him.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
rtp-brew
Recipes 

Sounds like the confusion is in the wording. Munich will convert itself in a mash as your HBS stated. Mash required on the chart appears to indicate that it must be mashed and not steeped lke in an extract+steeping grains recipe. If you wanted Munich in your extract recipe you would want to look for Munich extract. Since you're doing a partial mash though it's probably not relevant.

Maybe if you post up some more details on your recipe someone will chime in on the effcieny trouble.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

i mashed this:

1 lb munich
1 lb victory
1 lb crystal 55L
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate

did it in a pot at 158 or so degrees for about 45 minutes. Am i misunderstanding mashing and there's more to it than keeping the temperature up and stirring constantly? Ran a little hot i suppose... According to my HBS, should have gotten about 1.017 out of that, and about 42 out of the 6lbs of amber LME i added to that for the boil.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com

Quick Reply