Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Common Grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
ChefyTim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Common Grains?

Hey,

I am thinking about becoming an All Grain brewer and was wondering if there are some common grains that I might be able to buy in bulk that would likely be listed on many difference recipes.

I like Chocolate so I figure I could get some of that but not sure I really need a 50lb. bag of that.

Also, I wonder what the shelf life is of these grains. I have a basement that stays 66 degrees or lower so I was thinking that could be a good storage area as long as it is dry.

Thanks,
Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefyTim
Hey,

I am thinking about becoming an All Grain brewer and was wondering if there are some common grains that I might be able to buy in bulk that would likely be listed on many difference recipes.

I like Chocolate so I figure I could get some of that but not sure I really need a 50lb. bag of that.

Also, I wonder what the shelf life is of these grains. I have a basement that stays 66 degrees or lower so I was thinking that could be a good storage area as long as it is dry.

Thanks,
Tim
You should totally snatch up that 50 pound bag of Chocolate. And, if they're not sold out - Black Patent.

OK, I'm kidding. Get 50 pounds of 2-Row. You'll never go through 50 pounds of chocolate unless you go pro.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yup. Just buy your base grains in bulk when you start out. And remember, you need a mill if you're buying in bulk... otherwise, you'll have to have someone crush it for you.

I'd start out with a sack of Maris Otter. Or maybe a Belgian or German 2-row.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Maybe a 50# of Maris Otter, Golden Promise... anything pale like that. Also, a 50# of wheat wouldnt hurt if you are into wheats and heffes... you can go through it pretty fast.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I guess before we advise further, we need to know more of your plans. Do you only buy mail order? Or do you have a local homebrew shop (LHBS)? Do you mill your own grains? How often and how much do you brew? What styles?

Personally, I'm close to a LHBS, so I plan to buy specialty grains from them, about 2 to 5 pounds at a time, and just pick up my main grain in the 55lb sacks...

Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
abt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you've been brewing a while, you already know what grains you'll be using the most. A workhorse 2-row (I like Marris Otter) and Pilsner (Weyermann, Dingemans my choices) will go a long way toward cutting your grain bill, uh... bill. If you brew a lot of wheats, maybe a sack of wheat malt; if you love the darker lagers, a sack of Munich. No secrets, just buy a lot of what you use a lot of. I love to use Castle Caramunich and Aromatic, Weyermann acid malt, Crisp Roasted Barley and Brown, etc., etc., but I'm not going to buy a sack when I need 4-12oz per recipe.
In short, a pale malt and a pilsner malt should set you up for the year.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you can get the bulk malt from a local source it pays to buy it in bulk.
If you have to have it delivered, the savings in the price can get eaten up by the shipping charges.
Whole grain should last at least a year if kept in a cool dry place. (65 is cool enough.) Crushed grain doesn't last anything like as long.
I buy pale malt (Maris Otter) in 25kg sacks locally. Speciality malts, I usually buy in 10 lb bags for items I use regularly, and 1 lb for things I only use occasionally.

-a.

Quick Reply