Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > columbus? really??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Polboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default columbus? really??

I have to say i found hop i dont like, i made amber ale where i used columbus in late additions and little bit for dry hopping, it has this bad after taste that close to smoky/burn flavor, i really thought its from rather large crystal 60 addition. Then i made IPA, use it again for aroma/flavor together with cascade and in one carboy for dry hopping (the other dry hop with saaz). One with saaz is ok, has this aftertaste but its subdued and its definitively drinkable, batch dry hopped with columbus us just terrible, i wasnt able to drink hydro sample, i hope it will improve with time and carbonation. Isn't evil twin made with columbus?, whats wrong with mine? did i just discover meaning of word pungent?, anyone had similar experience or i got bad hops?
And final question is this terrible aftertaste shows when columbus is used as bittering only? if yes i have 8oz left to give away or trash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts

I love columbus. Carbonation makes a difference also. Do you like other beers hopped with columbus? Its a supercharged cascade similar to drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I'm not a columbus fan, although using for bittering seems to be ok. I heard someone describe columbus as "dank and harsh", especially in dryhopping, and I would agree with that statement.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I *think* I like Columbus. I'll find out soon! Just did a SMaSH a few days ago. CTZ/Pilsner:

12.5# German pils malt. Hop additions (all 12.8% AA):
14g @ 20 min
21g @ 15 min
28g @ 10 min
35g @ 5 min
42g @ 0 min (WP for 20 min)

Ferment US-05 at 68-70

I'm hoping it's more than just a smokey/burn flavor beer. It's definitely going to be pungent, but with 100% late additions I was hoping to just get crazy aromas and flavor. smells great do far!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy
Isn't evil twin made with columbus?
Yes and no. The evil twin kit from NB is bittered with Columbus, but the recipe off of Jamil's website doesn't have a bittering addition, (at least not the traditional 60 minute bittering addition) so no Columbus. I much prefer the recipe from his website, but don't think it has anything to do with Columbus, as I bitter a lot of my beers with it.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh man, no love for the columbus. A little columbus goes a long way thats for sure.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I do a SMASH with Columbus that is quite pleasing. 60,10,5,2, dry hop style; nothing bad about it... Not like Summit anyhow :-P
That being said, I generally try to keep Columbus in the early additions when building a multihop pale ale, just because there are other hops that showcase a little better in the tail end.

$.02

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 07-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

hym, dont know how to take this, i guess i will give it one more try but only for bittering additions, smoky/burn flavor i pick up would go well in porter or stout so i will try to brew that (but common description for this hop as citrusy ect doesnt go well with porter so im still confused by columbus)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy
I have to say i found hop i dont like, i made amber ale where i used columbus in late additions and little bit for dry hopping, it has this bad after taste that close to smoky/burn flavor, i really thought its from rather large crystal 60 addition. Then i made IPA, use it again for aroma/flavor together with cascade and in one carboy for dry hopping (the other dry hop with saaz). One with saaz is ok, has this aftertaste but its subdued and its definitively drinkable, batch dry hopped with columbus us just terrible, i wasnt able to drink hydro sample, i hope it will improve with time and carbonation. Isn't evil twin made with columbus?, whats wrong with mine? did i just discover meaning of word pungent?, anyone had similar experience or i got bad hops?
And final question is this terrible aftertaste shows when columbus is used as bittering only? if yes i have 8oz left to give away or trash
Hmmm. I think I like Columbus. It's Galena I hate. Super pissy. Definately f'd up my last big IPA with them, I think. Kinda bummed. But im letting em mellow out a few months, maybe they'll improve. BTW: got about 10oz whole leaf nicely stowed away if anyone's into em...

Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Crowdingthepan
Recipes 

Simcoe turned on me. I used to get all the piney cat pee characteristics. Suddenly it started smelling like garbage to me. I though I was getting infections in my beer until I realized it was only in my pale ales and IPAs. Then I isolated it down to just the beers with Simcoe in them. I sought out some commercial examples that use Simcoe heavily, and sure enough, garbage aroma. I don't know what it's about, but I have found one other brewer who experiences that hop the same way. It kinda ruined my trip to Hill Farmstead yesterday. Sux.

Quick Reply