Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Collecting Extra Sparge Water to Top Off After the Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
zyx345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Collecting Extra Sparge Water to Top Off After the Boil

On my last AG batch, Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer, we lost more wort volume than I originally calculated due to a split boil.

The target gravity was 1.064 @ 5 Gallons and we ended up at 1.074 @ 4.2 Gallons.

-Would it have been advisable to have collected extra sparge water and kept on the side, to top off to 5 gallons?

-If I did collect the extra sparge water and kept it on the side for 1 hour during the boil, would it need to be boiled to sanitize?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
mscott5205
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yes

Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
corax
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think you'd be better off adding plain water than more sparge water. Even if you control temp and pH, there comes a point where more sparge == more nasty.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
MaltyHops
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

There will also be the issue of proteins in the sparge water that wont be removed (as hot break) even if you boil it to sterilise (without a longer boil).

The amount of protein would probably be a lot lower than the main wort but could be significant - anyone know?

It might have been worth collecting some sparge water that you could add to the boil(s) earlier on if it starts to look like you might get too much boil off.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
I think you'd be better off adding plain water than more sparge water. Even if you control temp and pH, there comes a point where more sparge == more nasty.
So did you have more boil off than expected? If this is the case I'd top up with plain water as you would more likely hit you OG target than adding extrat wort. Would seem about right too - 74 *4.2 / 5 = 62

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I can only put 27 litres in my 33l kettle pre boil. So i put the excess wort from the sparge in a pot and boil it on my stove. When the main kettle start it's boil, I add the additional wort in my kettle and now can bring the boil volume very close to 33l.

3857L brewed since August 2011.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
So did you have more boil off than expected? If this is the case I'd top up with plain water as you would more likely hit you OG target than adding extrat wort. Would seem about right too - 74 *4.2 / 5 = 62
Thanks to all for all of the replies. To answer the above, I ended up with more boil off than expected. My initial question was for future batches in case this happens again.

I'm now also wondering if I collect extra sparge water to put aside until after the boil and I don't boil that extra sparge water for an hour, but use it to top off in my fermenter if I will get DMS in my brew?

Based on the above with my future batches I'm leaning towards topping off with a little spring water if my gravity is high enough.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

Is your pot large enought to add all the " extra" wort at the beginning of the boil? If you have excess wort at the end of the boil you can always can it and use it for future starters.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Is your pot large enought to add all the " extra" wort at the beginning of the boil? If you have excess wort at the end of the boil you can always can it and use it for future starters.
My main pot is a 30Q Turkey Fryer pot and my second pot is a 20Q stock pot. I use these two for my split boil. I also have a 16Q stainless steel pot which I planned to use to collect my extra sparge.

However I'm having second thoughts on if its worth collecting extra sparge water based on the replies I've gotten so far.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have had to turn my flame down real low during the boil so I don't have as much boil off.

Quick Reply