The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Collect wort now, boil later?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Collect wort now, boil later?

My next brew day is all chopped up, so what I'm planning on doing is mashing, sparging, and collecting the wort in my brew kettle. I then have to leave for about 2 hours...and then planning on doing the boil after that. Do you see any adverse effects from letting my pre-boil wort sitting in the kettle for 2 hours before boiling? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
My next brew day is all chopped up, so what I'm planning on doing is mashing, sparging, and collecting the wort in my brew kettle. I then have to leave for about 2 hours...and then planning on doing the boil after that. Do you see any adverse effects from letting my pre-boil wort sitting in the kettle for 2 hours before boiling? Thanks!
If you are only leaving it for a couple of hours, it'll should be OK. If you can, I would suggest bringing it up to a boil ... just for a moment ... before walking away from it, though.

There is a lot of bacteria in the grain and it'll be in a prime place to go crazy at those warm mash temps. but... like I said... 2 hours isn't really a super long time.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've left the mash 3-4 hours before collecting it and sparging and I read somewhere about a guy that routinely left it in the tun overnite before draining and sparging. So I believe that you could pause anywhere in the process before the boil step and not have a big problem. It takes a while for the wort to sour, just like leaving milk out on the counter over night.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 09-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellshooter View Post
I've left the mash 3-4 hours before collecting it and sparging and I read somewhere about a guy that routinely left it in the tun overnite before draining and sparging. So I believe that you could pause anywhere in the process before the boil step and not have a big problem. It takes a while for the wort to sour, just like leaving milk out on the counter over night.
Comparing wort to milk? Nasty. First of all beer doesn't come from women's boobs. Second, Milk comes from a cow as well. Beer is made by man to enjoy....

I forgot what I was going to argue because I said boobs and got distracted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

BOOBS Hip Hip Horay!

ps ...2 hrs, should be just fine to return, and then boil

Old 09-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Unless you want a really dry beer, do a mashout to de-nature the enzymes.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
winterparkmg
Recipes 

I did this at an extended period. Brewed a Belgian Strong Trippel and saved grains in the fridge. Then brewed Revvy's BW yesterday (two days later). made second and third runnings of the BW, came out to 1.052 post boil, all is well. Runnings from saved Trippel grains is in my bucket right now. I haven't boiled or anything, just sent water through and collected. It is sour. I don't know if I can drink it. Smells like sour grain and tastes like sour grain water. As soon as it was out of the MLT, we put it in the fridge. Just didn't turn out keeping well.

Side note, anyone have suggestions for this wort? It's very low grav (~1.012) at 6.5 gallons. I'll try anything once... Once. Recipe thoughts? Again, dregs from a trippel.

~Wm

Quick Reply