The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Coleman Cooler Mash Tun

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
tmerritt411
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Anchorage, Ak
Posts: 1
Default Coleman Cooler Mash Tun

I think I found the easiest way to convert a Coleman cooler into a mash tun.

Steps:
1. Take the Spigot Assembly out of the cooler.
2. With a small die grinder, remove the "spigot/valve" part (where you would push the button to drain the cooler)
3. With a 1/8 NPT tap, cut threads into the outside (smaller) portion of modified spigot.
4. With a 3/8 NPT tap, cut threads into the inside (bigger) portion.
5. Thread your favorite pipe thread fittings/valves to the outside of your newly threaded bulkhead fitting. Choose wisely though, I'm not sure how many opportunities you get screwing and unscrewing metal fittings into the plastic.
6. Replace the newly modified fitting into the cooler. Fill with water to check for leaks. I didn't even need to put Teflon tape on the threads, the torque on the brass fittings into the plastic was good enough.
7. Attach your manifold, stainless braided hose or whatever your using as a filter to the inside of the fitting.

Cost: Nothing, although I already had the taps, cooler and fittings laying around the shop.

__________________
tmerritt411 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
hal2814
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 563
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Easiest? Not by a long shot. Here's the easiest:

1. Put 5 gallon paint strainer bag in cooler.

That's strictly a mash tun. If you want to lauter with it, there is an additional step:

2. Place colander on top of cooler and place still-draining grain bag in colander.

Cost: The 5-gallon paint strainer bags are less than $5 for a 2-pack. I'm guessing everyone has a colander but if not, the cheap ones are less than $10 or you could just hold the bag the entire time or rig something else entirely.

Yours is a nicer setup and you'll probably get slightly better efficiency out of it but comparing easy I think I have the win.

__________________
hal2814 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
sea2summit3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 164
Default

If we're talking basic, easiest, and cheapest parts, what about Palmer's basic Mash/Lauter Tun? http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html No tap and die set required. Haven't tried this setup myself but it looks about as simple as it gets!

__________________
"A bar is better than a newspaper for public discussion."
-Jim Parker


Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone
sea2summit3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
ramgeva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 90
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerritt411 View Post
I think I found the easiest way to convert a Coleman cooler into a mash tun.

Steps:
1. Take the Spigot Assembly out of the cooler.
2. With a small die grinder, remove the "spigot/valve" part (where you would push the button to drain the cooler)
3. With a 1/8 NPT tap, cut threads into the outside (smaller) portion of modified spigot.
4. With a 3/8 NPT tap, cut threads into the inside (bigger) portion.
5. Thread your favorite pipe thread fittings/valves to the outside of your newly threaded bulkhead fitting. Choose wisely though, I'm not sure how many opportunities you get screwing and unscrewing metal fittings into the plastic.
6. Replace the newly modified fitting into the cooler. Fill with water to check for leaks. I didn't even need to put Teflon tape on the threads, the torque on the brass fittings into the plastic was good enough.
7. Attach your manifold, stainless braided hose or whatever your using as a filter to the inside of the fitting.

Cost: Nothing, although I already had the taps, cooler and fittings laying around the shop.
Sorry that I'm bringing back this old post but I have same issue with my Coleman cooler, no kits fits it, The question here is if the plastic parts of the spigot and the original o-ring can handle hot liquids without any unwanted stuff getting to the beer (from the plastic parts and I don't think the o-ring is a silicone one).
10x
__________________
ramgeva is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,205
Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgeva View Post
Sorry that I'm bringing back this old post but I have same issue with my Coleman cooler, no kits fits it, The question here is if the plastic parts of the spigot and the original o-ring can handle hot liquids without any unwanted stuff getting to the beer (from the plastic parts and I don't think the o-ring is a silicone one).
10x
I have converted both 48 and 70 qt. Coleman coolers like this...www.dennybrew.com . AAMOF, I'm on my way out to buy another 70 qt. to convert so I can sell it.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
dracus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 299
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

This is very simple.

1. Buy cooler kit, ball valve, and stainless braid from barginfittings.
2. Remove spigot. keep the rummer grommet from spigot.
3. install cooler kit
4. attach stainless braid on inside, and ball valve on the outside.

Voila a damn fine mash/lauter tun.

__________________
dracus is offline
ramgeva Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
ramgeva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 90
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracus View Post
This is very simple.

1. Buy cooler kit, ball valve, and stainless braid from barginfittings.
2. Remove spigot. keep the rummer grommet from spigot.
3. install cooler kit
4. attach stainless braid on inside, and ball valve on the outside.

Voila a damn fine mash/lauter tun.
Thanks
__________________
ramgeva is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best cooler for a mash tun? (Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermaid) Tankard Equipment/Sanitation 52 02-20-2014 12:07 PM
Video: How to make a mash tun from a 50qt Coleman cooler dustball All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 05-19-2010 01:00 AM
Who here uses coleman xtreme cooler for a MLT? BeerPressure All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 04-18-2010 04:58 AM
Coleman extreme cooler EricCSU Equipment/Sanitation 10 11-01-2009 12:46 AM
48-Q Coleman Cooler deal ChshreCat Equipment/Sanitation 2 08-24-2008 10:00 PM



Newest Threads