Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cold Steeping Dark Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
corwin6654
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold Steeping Dark Grains

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make a Cascadian Dark Ale, and Deschutes Hop In The Dark is probably the best commercial example of the style I've tasted. In doing some research, I found that Deschutes cold-steeps the dark grains at about 55* and adds the liquid to the pale mash in order to get the color, but not as much of the astringent flavor of the grains. Has anyone ever done this? How long should I steep? Do I add the dark liquid to the mash after first runnings and use that as sparge water? Any help you guys can provide is appreciated. Here is the link to the story of where I got this info in case you were curious. http://www.portlandbeer.org/blog/201...the-challenge/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1232 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Yep, cold steeping is not terribly common, but it has been talked about. I think it goes back to at least the heyday of HBD.org. More recently, Gordon Strong talks about it in his book (he suggests 24 hours), as has been mentioned in another thread somewhere around here. The steep will take some more time, but your best bet is to just keep tasting it as it goes. Go for it, and post back with your results!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I have cold steeped a little in relation to brewing, herbs, crystal malts, and you will get smoother flavor with less bitterness. The decision if it is worth it is brewmasters choice.

I have usually steeped overnight or so, then removed the herbs or crystal malts before anything else. At this point I believe you have the smooth flavor with less bitterness, even if you heat it some. Personally, I would be more tempted to add something like this at flameout.

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Last edited by The_Professor; 06-14-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
corwin6654
Recipes 

If I added it at flameout, how can I ensure that it's sanitary? Just pre-boil the water, then cool it down to whatever temp I'm steeping at, I suppose?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Steven9026
Recipes 

I've been thinking about cold steeping some of my dark grains as well. would love to know more about this technique.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4464 Times on 3250 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin6654 View Post
If I added it at flameout, how can I ensure that it's sanitary? Just pre-boil the water, then cool it down to whatever temp I'm steeping at, I suppose?
No, you'd have to boil the liquid at least briefly after the steep. Grains are crawling with bacteria, and a cold steep would ensure lactobacillus contamination at the very least. You'd have to bring the liquid up to a boil after removing the grains.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, you'd have to boil the liquid at least briefly after the steep. Grains are crawling with bacteria, and a cold steep would ensure lactobacillus contamination at the very least. You'd have to bring the liquid up to a boil after removing the grains.
Yeah, when I used cold steeped grains for a mead I brought the liquid up to for a short boil (5-10 minutes) before turning off the heat and adding the honey.

If I was adding this to a beer I would just add it to the wort before boiling, with the grains removed. You could add it at anytime during the boil you thought better...

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
redcoat_or_rebel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

just sanitize well and pitch a big starter, you should be fine adding it at flame out.

most bugs are killed at 170. this guy did a "No Boil" AG batch -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/expe...g-beer-202785/

Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
robdamanii
Recipes 

So what temperature would we be talking for a "cold steep?"

Are we suggesting room temperature or higher? If higher than room temperature, wouldn't it be nearly the point of a sour mash?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
redcoat_or_rebel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

he mentioned 55* in the OP ala Deschutes

Quick Reply