Cold crash or secondary belgian wits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Do belgian wits usually get cold crashed or put in secondary. They are cloudy beers but do you usually clear it up a bit? Same with a heff?

na, you want some of the yeast still in suspension. After bottling or kegging it will settle a bit anyway.

Yea I guess it is supposed to be a cloudier beer. Looking good so far. It's been going crazy for four days. Needed this blowoff tube for that many

image-1030409010.jpg

Attachments

• image-1227868096.jpg
    image-1227868096.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 209
Think about it. A yeast driven beer and you are thinking of the advantages of getting rid of as much yeast as you can?
I do a shorter than normal(for me) primary and bottle. 10 days from pitching to bottling. 14 dasy grain to glass

I have done none, one and both. all in effort to control my esters before i got temp control early this summer. All tasted good but some became a sort of crystal wit but when rolled gently before opening they all seemed similar. Though, my fav was the one i temp controlled and left on the yeast.

For IPA's and such, I'm a fan of cold crashing, it clears them up pretty damn well.

For wits, the character is more of a starch haze than yeast haze. I cold crash for a day to drop the yeast and the starch haze is still there.

Think of it this way, you are going to toss those in the fridge for several days before serving, right? Anything that drops in a 1 day cold crash is going to drop in that cooling time anyway. If you go grab a wit on draft at your favorite bar, it has probably been at fridge temps for weeks.

Back