Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Coffee percolator lautering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
zorcy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Coffee percolator lautering

I found a 5 gallon coffee percolator coffee pot. I was hoping it would work for lautering. It should percolate from a low temp and gradually come up as it goes. The only thing would be to watch the hi temp to make sure it does not go above a certain temp. Any comments on if it will work, if it needs to stay cool longer or heat up faster?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
zorcy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are my findings.
It is to small to do large batches. It will hold the water, but not the grains. if i extend the grain basket walls up or maybe if I split up the grains and did one as a time?
Once it hits the temp, it stops and maintains only. You have to cool it way down or replace the water to get it to percolate again. Thinking about a byepass power switch.
The speed was very nice, it was really fast and you don't have to watch it all the time. I think I will use it for a similar use, but not exactly this.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
trazman001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm going to try using my Mr. beer with all grain this time I have a percolator than does more than 32 cups of coffee so I think it might work for all grain wheat. Never done mashing I have never done all grain but I'm to give a shot with some extra spices on these Mandarin peels. honey and hopefully I with these new carbonation drops I can make a nice beer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply