Coffee paper filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced pouring wort in the fermenter through one of these plastic funels for coffee with a paper filter (see attachement)?

Maybe it's a good way to get a clearer beer, but I'm wondering if the paper filter could be a source of contamination.

Thank for your thoughts.

filter.jpg

The filter will clog up and it will take forever to get it all into the fermentor this way. ;)
I use the tried and true time method for clearing most beers and either an RO filter container or gelatin to make certain styles super clear.

The filter will clog up and it will take forever to get it all into the fermentor this way.

+1 unfortunately coffee filters really aren't good for this purpose

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Any trub that does make it into the primary fermenter should settle out after fermentation winds down. Cold crashing and gelatin finings can expedite this process.

Also if you don't already use irish moss/whirfloc at the end of your boil, I would start doing so. It really helps the proteins coagulate and drop out.

Whirlfloc towards the end of the boil, and let your bottles sit in the fridge for a couple weeks and you'll have a clear beer.

I guess I don't understand the desire for a clear beer. If it tastes good, and it's the "right" color, does it need to be clear?

The filter will clog up and it will take forever to get it all into the fermentor this way. ;)
I use the tried and true time method for clearing most beers and either an RO filter container or gelatin to make certain styles super clear.

I agree. I don't use gelatin or anything else. I use a 4 week primary and after two weeks in the fridge or kegerator, everything drops out and beer is Crystal clear.

Filtering through paper seems like it would cause problems. I have a metal strainer that I dump my wort through after the boil to get out the major hops trub.

I use no finings or filters, and always get clear beer with a tight little cake at the bottom of each bottles. Here's what I always do:

1. drop the wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter through a stainless steel strainer

2. Primary ferment 4 weeks

3. Rack to a bottling bucket with an autosiphon, leaving the cake behind

4. bottle condition 4 weeks

I use no finings or filters, and always get clear beer with a tight little cake at the bottom of each bottles. Here's what I always do:

1. drop the wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter through a stainless steel strainer

2. Primary ferment 4 weeks

3. Rack to a bottling bucket with an autosiphon, leaving the cake behind

4. bottle condition 4 weeks

+1

I tried the stainless steel washable coffee filter, but the thing clogged up in a heartbeat. The regular 8" kitchen strainer gets most of the big particles, then it's just a matter of giving it enough time to clear on it's own, which varies and most don't survive that long anyway. I have Irish Moss, but keep forgetting I have it.

+1

I tried the stainless steel washable coffee filter, but the thing clogged up in a heartbeat. The regular 8" kitchen strainer gets most of the big particles, then it's just a matter of giving it enough time to clear on it's own, which varies and most don't survive that long anyway. I have Irish Moss, but keep forgetting I have it.

This is similar to the strainer I use

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-American-Housewares-8-Food-Strainer/15042728

By turning it and scraping gently with a spoon I can run the entire 5 galon in one go. A binder clip keeps it on the edge of the fermenter.

Aside from clogging up-

I remember reading something about the "white" filters were treated with something (bleached?) which I believe I remember someone commenting on an oxidized taste.

The "unbleached" or natural brown filters won't cause this, but you still have the clogging problem.

Wow!

I didn't expect so many answers

Thanks a million, that's awesome!

Limiting trub into your fermenter does not have an impact on beer clarity. In fact, it can have the opposite effect... http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/
I found that post on Brülosophy very interesting and it echos my own experiences. I've gone from straining out the trub durning transfer from kettle to fermenter and I've not noticed any negative issues apart from a little extra volume taken up in fermenter. Just posted this on my blog: Kettle trub in fermenter – could it actually be beneficial?

Latest posts

Back