Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Coffee Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, Pick apart my recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Coffee Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, Pick apart my recipe.

First totally amateur attempt in Beersmith after gleaning a number of similar recipes.

TYPE: All Grain

Batch Size 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 31.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
10.0 oz Oats, Flaked, Toasted
8.0 oz Black Barley
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
1.50 oz Fuggles Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent Boil 30.0 Hop
1.0 pkg SafAle S-04

4.00 oz Coffee, French Roast in Secondary

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 10.0 oz
Mash @ 156.0 F 90 min
Mash Out 168.0F 10 min

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I like everything, except I would be tempted to split that coffee up to 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz at secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen oatmeal stouts with up to two pounds of oats in the grist, I would suggest upping yours to at least a pound, though I am a big fan of oats in most malt-forward beers. I think the Chocolate Wheat Malt will turn out interesting, let us know what kind of character it ends up giving the beer.

By the way, from a recent recipe I heavily suggest sparging if you're going to do BIAB on a style with a fair amount of roasted grains.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

This isn't necessarily a criticism, but more of a question: wouldn't the MO's softer notes be completely overshadowed by the black and chocolate malts? Why not just use 2-row?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
This isn't necessarily a criticism, but more of a question: wouldn't the MO's softer notes be completely overshadowed by the black and chocolate malts? Why not just use 2-row?
I chose MO simply because the brew I'm trying to clone uses all English malt. In the grand scheme, it may not matter, I don't know.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Quick Reply