Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Coconut Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
rayen99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coconut Porter

After trying Maui's Coconut porter, listening to the podcast on Basic Brewing about it and reading previous Coconut Porter/Stout threads I think I want to try my own. Here's my recipe from BeerSmith:

Brew Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
12 oz Oats (Flaked & Toasted)
10 oz Black Patent Malt
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Crystal 60L

I'll mash the above at 155 F for 30 min and sparge with 1 gal of water
then I'll add water to bring my kettle up to 4 gal and start the boil.

2 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
4 oz Coconut (Shredded) @ 30 min
8 oz Homemade Carmelized Sugar @ 10 min
5 lbs Amber DME @ 10 min
.5 oz Fuggles @ 0 min
Pitch with WYEAST English Ale yeast

In secondary:
2 lb Coconut (Shredded & Toasted)
1 Vanilla bean

Est. OG: 1.070 SG
Est. FG: 1.018 SG
Est. ABV: 6.8%

I'm thinking that the oats will help with head retension, since the oils in the Coconut seems to cause a problem with that. I am concerned that the Pale malt in my partial mash won't have enough diastic power to convert the oats, and I'm not sure how to calculate how much Pale I'd need... I threw in the caramel because it should go well with the Coconut and toasted tastes I've got going on and to lighten the body which I'm guessing is going to be quite thick anyway.

I've been doing mostly PM recipes, and kit beers, so coming up with my own is new to me. So I'm not sure if this recipe makes much sense...

Any suggestions or feedback? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
hbomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, read it wrong.

Last edited by hbomb; 07-31-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: I'm illiterate

Old 07-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Mathematics
Recipes 

Here's a slightly similar recipe that I've just bottled... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/pirate-ale-56705/

At bottling it still tasted a little sour to me...I used the prescribed amount of confectioners coconut so hopefully it'll balance out. My only advice is maybe watch how many days you let the beer ferment in the primary on the coconut, and maybe reconsider having any in the secondary. Not sure what, if any, effect boiling the coconut in there will have...mostly you just see fruits added at flame off or in the primary/secondary.

Sounds like a tasty brew to me either way though, the addition of the vanilla should go good with the coconut flavor.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

2 lbs of pale malt seems light?

I don't see how you can get to an OG of 1.070

Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
rayen99
Recipes 

@IXVolt

Did you see the 5 lbs Amber DME? I didn't list that up with the grain bill. The DME along with the other ingredients should bring the OG up pretty high I think. I'm still not sure if I want to make this as strong as my recipe I have here, I might cut back on the DME. But my chief concern is with having enough pale malt in my partial mash to convert the starches in 3/4 lb of oats.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
rayen99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
Here's a slightly similar recipe that I've just bottled... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/pirate-ale-56705/

At bottling it still tasted a little sour to me...I used the prescribed amount of confectioners coconut so hopefully it'll balance out. My only advice is maybe watch how many days you let the beer ferment in the primary on the coconut, and maybe reconsider having any in the secondary. Not sure what, if any, effect boiling the coconut in there will have...mostly you just see fruits added at flame off or in the primary/secondary.

Sounds like a tasty brew to me either way though, the addition of the vanilla should go good with the coconut flavor.
I'm not sure either. I got the idea of boiling it from what Maui Brewing does, as they put some in the boil. How's the coconut taste in yours? And also, can you taste the rum? I first thought about doing the 2 lbs toasted coconut in the secondary and making a coconut extract with a fifth of Bacardi 151 and shredded coconut and then pouring that into my bottling bucket. But I don't want to overdo the coconut taste, plus that raises the cost considerably.

I noticed the Pirate Ale uses dark dme.
I decided to go with Amber DME over Dark DME, because I'm thinking the dark might be too flavorful and overpower the coconut. I don't want it to be overly roasty. Do the flavor's blend well in yours?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Aah, I missed the DME. Also if you use the coconut extract would that still affect the head retention?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
rayen99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXVolt View Post
Aah, I missed the DME. Also if you use the coconut extract would that still affect the head retention?
Not sure, but my guess is that it wouldn't.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Mathematics
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayen99 View Post
I'm not sure either. I got the idea of boiling it from what Maui Brewing does, as they put some in the boil. How's the coconut taste in yours? And also, can you taste the rum? I first thought about doing the 2 lbs toasted coconut in the secondary and making a coconut extract with a fifth of Bacardi 151 and shredded coconut and then pouring that into my bottling bucket. But I don't want to overdo the coconut taste, plus that raises the cost considerably.

I noticed the Pirate Ale uses dark dme.
I decided to go with Amber DME over Dark DME, because I'm thinking the dark might be too flavorful and overpower the coconut. I don't want it to be overly roasty. Do the flavor's blend well in yours?
I taste-tested a small 12oz-er last night (7 days in bottle)...still has alot of twang to it, and the coconut is VERY pronounced. The rum is just barely noticeable (which I like). Not that great last night, but hopefully it'll mellow out with time.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
ACheateaux
Recipes 

Any word on how these have come out? Im sizing up my fall/winter homebrew schedule and definetly wanted to try out a toasted coconut porter...

Quick Reply