Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > cocoa powder's affect on final gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Gravity is a measure of the density of the liquid in comparison to water (1.00). Density is a measure of mass divided by volume.

If you have cocoa powder mixed in, chances are your volume may have changed a tiny bit, but not much. Mass, on the other hand, may have changed a decent amount. I'm not gonna do any research into it, but I wouldn't just discount it. However, it could be that both mass and volume increase in correct proportions for it not to matter. Food for thought....
The hydrometer measures the density of the liquid. If something is dissolved in it (like sugar) the mass will increase but there will be little volume increase, so the density will be higher (more mass per volume). However, if something is suspended in the liquid and not dissolved (like cocoa powder) neither the mass nor the volume of the liquid changes, so density is unaffected. As an extreme example...the density of water does not change when you add a handful of sand to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I pitched a pack of US-05 (what I had) two weeks ago. I just racked to my keg and the gravity measured 1.024. It a little higher than I expected, but it is what it is.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

This thread made me dumber.

1. Just assume cocoa was sugar... Plug into beersmith or calc by hand and it would add what, 1-2 points? So not being sugar, cocoa will add less than that.

2. A FG of 1.024 sounds like lousy attenuation. Calculate it and see what safe ale says its supposed to be. 75% would put you at 1.016. I Fear your beer will be rather sweet.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
As an extreme example...the density of water does not change when you add a handful of sand to it.
And (for the purposes of this thread) cocoa powder = sand. It falls out of suspension pretty quickly in my experience.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
And (for the purposes of this thread) cocoa powder = sand. It falls out of suspension pretty quickly in my experience.
precisely

Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Are you using a refractometer to measure the FG by chance?

Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts

Agreed. If so, a refractometer can't be used to measure gravity of fermented beer.

I pitched a 1.5L starter in mine, and after 7 days, it was at 1.011, so pretty much done (target is 1.010). Measured with hydrometer, and the cocoa powder didnt cause any measurement issues. Most of it is on the bottom of the carboy anyways.

That being said, I tasted the beer (this recipe) when I took a reading, and it was sweet and kinda boozy, and nowhere near ready. Definitely needs a good month and a half rest. I'm expecting it'll be awesome when I serve at Thanksgiving.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use a hydrometer, and I agree it's lousy attenuation. The question is why the lousy attenuation. I thought maybe it had something to do with the cocoa powder, but apparently not. At least not to the degree I experienced.

In my 5 years of brewing all grain, I have never had an attenuation issue. If anything, my beers finish drier than beersmith predicts. Not sure why it happened this time. Ambient temps were fairly constant (60's), mash temp was 152ish. I used 2 pack of yeast pitched a few weeks apart, and it spent 5+ weeks in the fermenter. It should be finished. It went from 1.064 to 1.024. I agree it should have finished about 10 points lower, but it didn't. I'm not pitching any more yeast. It in the keg now, and I'm moving on.

Quick Reply