New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > cocoa powder's affect on final gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
apshaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default cocoa powder's affect on final gravity

I made a stout and added 4oz cocoa powder with 15 minutes left in the boil. I measured OG at 1.064, and after 3 weeks its down to 1.030. It seems like its done, but the FG is a lot higher than I expected. Beersmith estimated the FG to be 1.015, but I didn't add the cocoa into beersmith. I did hit the estimated OG. I did an iodine test and had full conversion with a 90min mash. Used Winsor yeast.

So my question is how does the cocoa affect the final gravity? Does 1.030 seem out of whack?

Here's the 5 gallon grain bill:

10# Munich
1.5# Flaked Oats
1# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
.25# C120
+ 4oz Cocoa powder @15

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sounds like a stalled fermentation. I couldn't imagine cocoa adding 15 points to your FG. Did your temps stay consistent throughout?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cocoa powder shouldn't add anything to your gravity since it doesn't contain any sugars. What was your mash temp?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mash temp was 152. Temps were pretty consistent in the mid to upper 60s.

So should I pitch more yeast? I have a pack of nottingham in the fridge I could use. I have already racked it into a corny keg, but I could easily put it back in the fermenter.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
kaconga
Recipes 

I think getting it down below 1.020 would be worth it. How does it taste to you? Since it is in a corny you could just let it ride if you like how it tastes. Personally once I like how it tastes I stop messing with it and start drinking it

Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, it tastes like a half fermented chocolate stout. Very sweet. Very chocolatey. But, I was expecting the sweetness from the Munich base. I'm going to rack it back into a carboy and pitch more yeast. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
kaconga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshaffer
Well, it tastes like a half fermented chocolate stout. Very sweet. Very chocolatey. But, I was expecting the sweetness from the Munich base. I'm going to rack it back into a carboy and pitch more yeast. Thanks for the input.
Best of luck. Hopefully you will let us know the outcome.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Cocoa powder shouldn't add anything to your gravity since it doesn't contain any sugars. What was your mash temp?
Is that really true? SG isn't measuring sugars, it's measuring density. Seems to me if cocoa powder is dissolved into water it would raise the gravity. In this specific example (4 oz of cocoa powder), I can't imagine it'd be much, but it would affect it wouldn't it?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie

Is that really true? SG isn't measuring sugars, it's measuring density. Seems to me if cocoa powder is dissolved into water it would raise the gravity. In this specific example (4 oz of cocoa powder), I can't imagine it'd be much, but it would affect it wouldn't it?
Cocoa powder doesn't dissolve in water - it is basically just in suspension. I suppose there may be some compounds in it that dissolve, but I don't think you would detect any appreciable gravity change.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Cocoa powder doesn't dissolve in water - it is basically just in suspension. I suppose there may be some compounds in it that dissolve, but I don't think you would detect any appreciable gravity change.
Gravity is a measure of the density of the liquid in comparison to water (1.00). Density is a measure of mass divided by volume.

If you have cocoa powder mixed in, chances are your volume may have changed a tiny bit, but not much. Mass, on the other hand, may have changed a decent amount. I'm not gonna do any research into it, but I wouldn't just discount it. However, it could be that both mass and volume increase in correct proportions for it not to matter. Food for thought....

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Quick Reply