The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cloudy Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
bmcwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cloudy Wort

I made my 4th all grain beer yesterday; Jamils Janet's Brown. I mashed at 154 for an hour and vorlaufed over 1 gallon for both runnings. There were no grain particles going into the boil kettle, but the wort was really cloudy, it almost looked like bits of chunky flour floating about. This is the second time in 2 weeks this has happened. I though at first it was my crush, so I bought my gain from another store, but the same thing happened again. I brewed a Rye IPA 3 weeks ago and kegged it; there are still chunks floating in the finished beer. Ideas??

first-runnings.jpg

first-runnings-2.jpg

sight-glass.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

That looks like break material to me, perfectly normal. It will settle out after fermentation.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

I was forced to use an old mini food processor to do a fine crush on my grains for a biab pm. I didn't have that much in primary,& was finer grained. I pulsed 1/2C of grain 3 times for 3-4 seconds each pulse. Efficiency was pretty good for a first timer,got OG 1/044 out of range of 1.042-1.046. By bottling day,it was settled out to slightly misty. 3 days in the bottle today,& very clear already.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Normal, at least for me. I usually get the same thing. Always settles out. Nothing to fret over.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
bmcwood
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies. I usually rack into a corny after primary fermentation, but I might put this one into secondary for about a week and then cold crash; hopefully that will remove all the particles. Anyone know what that stuff actually is? I know I have seen material similar to it after I have chilled, but going into the kettle from the mash tun? Maybe just lack of experience...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
LansingX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is hot break material created by proteins. The proteins in the wort coagulate during the boil and that is what they look like. During the wort chill process they will drop to the bottom. At the end of the wort chill, stir the cooled wort briskly (like a mad man), cover the pot and wait about 20 minutes. Drain the wort into your fermenter leaving most of that stuff behind. Alternatively, you could not worry about it and it will settle out with the yeast in the fermenter. Your finished beer will not look like that.

There is wisdom in wine. There is freedom in beer. There is bacteria in water.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcwood View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I usually rack into a corny after primary fermentation, but I might put this one into secondary for about a week and then cold crash; hopefully that will remove all the particles. Anyone know what that stuff actually is? I know I have seen material similar to it after I have chilled, but going into the kettle from the mash tun? Maybe just lack of experience...
Its protein. Proteins are molecules, long and short. Your mash tun filter can filter some of the big stuff, but not every particle. My guess (as a biologist) even though I haven't researched it would be that the "stuff" is those proteins that precipitate out of solution (wort). The particles are moving fast in the hot wort and are likely combining (heavier) and drop out. It makes sense that boiling would speed this process up, and that irish moss (charged particles) also help precipitate proteins. When you chill you drop momentum and gravity, so the particles fall out of suspension faster.

Just my 0.02$. And IMO you don't need to bother with a secondary. That stuff will just end up on the bottom, contributing to trub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansingX View Post
That is hot break material created by proteins. The proteins in the wort coagulate during the boil and that is what they look like. During the wort chill process they will drop to the bottom. At the end of the wort chill, stir the cooled wort briskly (like a mad man), cover the pot and wait about 20 minutes. Drain the wort into your fermenter leaving most of that stuff behind. Alternatively, you could not worry about it and it will settle out with the yeast in the fermenter. Your finished beer will not look like that.
He was talking about pre-boil.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As has already been said, looks pretty normal to me. Recently tried cold-crashing for the first time and have had great success clearing cloudy post-ferment wort. I wouldn't be concerned.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
LansingX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
He was talking about pre-boil.
Oops... Read too fast I suppose. In that case, I do not recall seeing anything like that pre-boil in my pot. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice.

There is wisdom in wine. There is freedom in beer. There is bacteria in water.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Ime,the grainy stuff settles out by the time FG is reached. The cloudy/misty stuff settles out after 3 days in the bottle. About the same as my recombinent extracts did.

Quick Reply