New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cloudy Brew!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cloudy Brew!?

I attached a pic of the porter we brewed over the past couple of weeks. It was in the fermenter for a week, then bottled. It's still a little young so carbonation isn't spot on, but it seems really cloudy; is this because I didn't let it clear up in the fermenter long enough??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
brentt03
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.
I was about 98% sure time was the culprit but we were semi-experimenting how it would turn out in a shorter turn around as we are gearing up to start a nanobrewery, so looks like we need to figure in a longer time frame for a better product outcome.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.
Yeah, my porters and stouts tend to need 6-8 weeks in the bottle alone to reach their peak, and that's after the month in primary.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
WVbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What yeast did you use?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
headfullahops