Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > cloudy beer help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
bakersbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default cloudy beer help

due to how busy i have been lately, i just brewed my first beer in around 6 months. needless to say, i was a little bit rusty. i hit all my mash temps and everything seemed to go right on brew day. i was using my new rubbermaid 10 gallon MLT and was a little unfamiliar with it since i had been using the mesh grain bag AG technique before.

anyways, just tapped the keg and the beer is very cloudy. it tastes good; very very green, but good. the recipe was ed worts haus pale ale. i have brewed this before and it turned out perfectly. what is my problem here?

i am guessing that i didnt vorlauf long enough. is this the case?

Primary: Caramel Cream Ale (Second AG)
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Hefeweizen
Keg 2: Honey Ginger Lager
Keg 3: EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (First AG)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4776 Times on 3471 Posts
Likes Given: 949

In my experience, vorlaufing only catches the big chunks of grain and doesn't really matter in the final clarity of the beer.

A couple of things that can cause cloudy beer- chill haze, starch haze, suspended yeast particles and possibly lack of a hot break.

I use whirfloc in the boil kettle, and that helps with a lot with chill haze because it causes the proteins to coagulate and fall out. If it's chill haze, it'll get better in a couple of weeks at fridge temps. Same with a yeast haze- if it's yeast, it'll get better after being chilled for a while. If there are unconverted starces in the beer, you might have a starch haze. Did you test for conversion? Ingredients play a part, too- wheat beers tend to remain cloudy.

I assume you got a good hot break? If you never got much of a hot break, you could have some cloudy beer but I don't think that's very common.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
bakersbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the quick response.

i should also mention i did a cool crash for three days after a 10 day primary. that should have cleared up the yeast haze. i was very careful when transferring to the keg and didnt get any of the yeast cake into the keg. so i dont think its yeast.

since i was so rusty i forgot to take gravity readings. i am guessing it might be unconverted starches. but its weird because i hit my mash temps and the beer doesnt really have a overly starchy taste. and i am familiar with overly starchy beer because i completely missed my mash on my last beer and blew it. it came out a low in alcohol, very cloudy mess.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
bakersbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

also - i pitched at 78 degrees because i couldnt get it any colder with the immersion chiller. would this have anything to do with it?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4776 Times on 3471 Posts
Likes Given: 949

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersbrew View Post
also - i pitched at 78 degrees because i couldnt get it any colder with the immersion chiller. would this have anything to do with it?
Probably not with the cloudiness- that would be more of a flavor issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersbrew View Post
thanks for the quick response.

i should also mention i did a cool crash for three days after a 10 day primary. that should have cleared up the yeast haze. i was very careful when transferring to the keg and didnt get any of the yeast cake into the keg. so i dont think its yeast.
Can we assume that this is not 13 day old beer you're drinking?

I've started skipping the secondary and going straight to the keg myself but I usually leave the beer in the primary about 4 weeks. Now don't take that as gospel because like I said, I just started skipping the secondary. Still, 13 days and then into the keg seems a little short to me, even with the cold crash.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
bakersbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its actually been three weeks. i know that is a little soon and i should give it some time. i just wanted to try it out because i am impatient.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Well if you cooled your keg to carbonate it you'll slow down your aging. In the end you'll wind up waiting even longer if you wait until it's ready.

I stopped using anything to clear my beer. I just get a good boil, a good cold break and a long primary in cool conditions. (My basement is ideal year round) I usually age my beer 2 -3 months before drinking and that helps too. Of course I'm behind right now and I'll be drinking 5 week old beer in about four weeks so I might be eating those words. Anyway, the point is that you should build a pipeline if you can and let everything settle out over time.

Quick Reply