Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Clearing my chill haze (polycar, gelatin)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
jammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clearing my chill haze (polycar, gelatin)

So i have a party coming up in two weeks. I have six kegs that i plan to be serving. They are all very clear beer at room temp but they have chill haze when served. So i would very much like to get rid of the chill haze within the next two weeks. I have gelatin and polycar on hand. I believe that the gelatin will not remove the chill haze so it sounds like polycar is my best bet. I just read that polycar has to be removed from the beer before serving. Most of my beer is already in kegs (some is not). So, should i add the polycar and then force transfer into another keg? how long do i have to let polycar do its job and how volatile is it to being shaked?

I have no way of chilling the beer any colder than serving temp. I have a cheap made in china fridge and it works hard enough just keeping my kegs cold.

any advice? is it just worth it to live with the chill haze? should i get a different fining agent?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Thalon

Recipes 

My understanding is that there aren't any adjuncts that are able to remove chill haze. It is a problem that started with the mash - had too many homebrews myself to be able to tell you exactly what the problem was... sorry. But basically it's there and you'll have to live with it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Chill haze isn't all that bad though, it's purely cosmetic. You can't taste any difference. But it just makes it tougher to get BMC drinkers to like it.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

IIRC, Chill haze is caused by proteins that didn't coagulate and settle out during the hot/cold break. As such, you are pretty much stuck with 'em.

That said, I have had a beer that I thought had suffered chill haze. After a few weeks, it turned out that it was a very small amount of yeast in suspension and was cleared with two weeks at 38*

Old 08-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both PC and gelatin should be used before kegging.

It takes a day or two to really clear, but gelatin likes to be used/does a better job when the brew is cold.

You could de-gas your kegs, add gelatin to them then transfer the brew to new keg so it'll be clear going in.

If you don't have the time my best recommendation is always ceramic mugs.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

irish moss in the original boil, and a good fast wort chilling to give you a cold break will help prevent it.

zero experience on 'fixing it' after the fact.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
jammer
Recipes 

Thanks guys,

I thought that i had heard multiple places that polycar can remove chill haze. It just had to be removed before serving. no one else has heard that?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Polyclar is actually a plastic dust that pulls the chill haze proteins out of the beer. Most people don't like the idea of drinking plastic so they rack off everything that settles out, but it's not mandatory. The first few pours might taste like a barbie doll though. here's more info

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 08-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

polyclar and gelatin will both work fine. Also, the proteins will often settle out on their own if given a couple weeks. Warm gelatin on cold beer works best because it strips the proteins out as it settles through the beer so it will float on top at first and settle as it cools. If you use polyclar I'd recommend racking off the sediment since it is plastic and not particularly tasty. If you use gelatin you should be able to just draw the gelatin off the bottom of the keg with the first few pints if you don't want to re-rack.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Axegod
Recipes 

I had a similar problem a while ago...I just served into plastic beer cups that were translucent.

Nobody knew the difference. :-)

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwinofjoni
Polyclar is actually a plastic dust that pulls the chill haze proteins out of the beer. Most people don't like the idea of drinking plastic so they rack off everything that settles out, but it's not mandatory. The first few pours might taste like a barbie doll though. here's more info
Hmmnn...the morebeer link says that Polyclar requires 3-10 days, while Palmer says "only a few hours...a day at most."

I bought a few packets of the stuff, but the idea of adding it to my beer is now making me nervous.

Quick Reply