Cleaning out freezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bunch of hops left from previous brews and decided I'd make a franken-beer. What do you think?

8 lb 2 Row
3 lb Honey Malt
2 lb Vienna
1 lb C20
.5 lb Carafoam

.25 oz Centennial 9.1% @ 90 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer 10.6% @ 75 min
.25 oz Amarillo 9.1% @ 60 min
.5 ozCentennial 4.5% @ 60 min - this was 9.2% one year ago, so I cut it in half
.5 oz Amarillo 3.5% @ 30 min - this was 7.5% one year ago, so I cut it in half
.25 oz Perle 7.5% @ 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles 4.2% @ 5 min

I'm gonna pitch Denny's Favorite 50. It should be interesting if nothing else.

Seems like a lot of honey malt; but what the hell!

It varies, but hops generally lose about 30% of their bittering compounds in 6 months when kept at room temperature. If you kept them in the fridge or freezer, it will be less than 10% in a year.

I'd move the Amarillo to the 15, 10, 5, or 0 addition.

I'll +1 on cutting back on the honey malt...seems like way too much to me. I'll also +1 moving that 60 minute amarillo addition to later in the boil :)

With the Centennial and Northern Brewer that early in the boil I'd think you have enough to cover your bittering addition...toss the rest in 15 minutes down to 0 minutes and it sounds like it should be pretty tasty :)

I never would have thought it would lose that little. They've been in the freezer, however, it is the freezer in the fridge I ferment in, so it doesn't always stay at freezing temps. Usually in the 40's I would guess. I was adding the Amarillo as a bittering hop early due to the high AA. Do you like it more for aroma than bittering? And for the honey malt, I'm just looking for a little sweetness. I could drop it to 2 lbs and up the 2 row to 9 lbs. Either way wouldn't bother me.

Works for me! I changed the 2 row to 9 lbs and the honey malt to 2 lbs. Moved the Amarillo additions to later. Can't wait to brew this. It will be my first "franken-beer"!

I've never used more than 0.5 lbs of honey malt. Not really use it that much, so don't take it as 0.5 lbs as being the limit, but I think you should be sure 2 lbs is what you really want. Maybe someone else with more experience with the malt can add something.

Yeah I would say that 2 lbs of honey malt still is excessive especially since you already have a lb of crystal in there.

On the suggestions form the forum, I have changed the grain bill to 11 lb 2 row, .5 lb Carafoam, 1 lb honey malt, 2 lb Vienna and .5 lb C40. I am now thinking that I want to add more hops to the first addition and maybe make this an IPA. Maybe another oz of fresh Centennial. Thanks for all the replies!

Made a couple more changes that I wanted to share. the total grain bill is now:
10 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Vienna
4 oz Carafoam
8 oz honey malt
4 oz C80

I also added 1 oz of Centennial at 90 min. The IBU's are calculating at 56.9. I have turned it into an IPA now more than an APA.

I agree. I have a bad habit of adding too many non-fermentables to be recipe, so after all of the input I forced myself to pull them back! haha

No need really for a 75 minute mash. I mash long for beers I'm trying to dry out, which is opposite of your goal of adding body...

Latest posts

Back