Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cleaning new cooler MLT before first use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default Cleaning new cooler MLT before first use?

Do I need to clean a brand new cooler (rubbermaid 10gal) with a specific cleaner prior to it's maiden voyage? I'm worried about plastic flavors transferring to the wort. I treated all the brass fittings with a vinegar/peroxide solution to remove any lead...is there a treatment necessary for the SS braid too?

Nate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Other than some water with the sanitizer of your choice in it, you shouldn't have to worry about anything else. I give my MLT a good spary after I'm done brewing, then dry it off and put the lid on it. When it comes time to use it again sometimes I'll put some water w/sanitizer in it, sometimes I won't. I've never noticed any plastic flavors at all.

Get to mashing!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t
I treated all the brass fittings with a vinegar/peroxide solution to remove any lead.
I've heard of people doing this and I know Palmer talks about it in his book, but is it necessary?
Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It's such an easy procedure, I didn't think it was worth skipping.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
bigben
Recipes 

I do the 'pickleing' of all my brass parts. It seems to work fine. I do always have issues with compression fittings tho. I dont know if they are made differently than the brass nipples, but the compression fittings never turn a buttery yellow color. They just stay dark the whole time and eventually the solution starts to turn to a greenish color. I dont know what this means. I probably just caused more harm than good. I've tried putting them in a fresh solution several times and the same thing always happens.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

OK back to the original question. I would simply wash out the cooler w/ oxy-clean and hot water, rinse well w/ hot water and mash on. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Lucky Dog Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidicem
I've heard of people doing this and I know Palmer talks about it in his book, but is it necessary?

So what is that procedure and what does it do? I never heard that before.

BMW-LDB

Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

thanks for the advice all

Lucky Dog...

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 04-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Lucky Dog Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t
thanks for the advice all

Lucky Dog...

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."
Thank you for that. All the reading Ive done and haven't seen that. Thanks again.

BMW-LDB

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
brewmeone
Recipes 

Default My first time...

I gave both of my 10 gallon drink coolers a nice wash with dish soap and hot water before the first use. I didn't sanitize... but gave it a thorough washing with really hot water.

Drinking: Kölsch, Rye IPA, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian wit
On Deck: Dunke Weizen, Caramel Quad, Rye IPA

Quick Reply