Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > citra ipa recipe critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
kepling5001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default citra ipa recipe critique

Hey guys I'm gonna do my second ag batch as a citra IPA. I could use some help with the recipe. Here's what I got:

Batch size: 5
12# two row
1.5# crystal 15

Hops
0.85 oz Magnum %12.1 60 mins
1.00 oz citra %14 10 mins
1.00 oz citra 5 mins
1.00 oz citra flame out
2.00 oz citra dry hop at 14 days? Not sure about this and how long to keep it in there.

What do you guys think? Shoul i add something to the grain bill or is that OK? As far as hops I have 1# citra, 1# magnum, 1# cascade, .5 # of Amarillo and simcoe. Should I change add hops or timings? I've never had a citra IPA which is why I was thinking of using all flavor / aroma hops so I could get a feel for it. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That grain bill is almost identical to the next brew I have in the pipeline. Mine will be:

• 12# two-row
  • 1.5# Crystal 20
  • 0.5# Munich

Hops look good too. I am going to try and experiment with my dry-hops though. In the past I have tossed everything in at the beginning and let it sit for the full 14 days. This time around I am going to blend my dry hops (1 oz. Citra & 1 oz. Chinook) and toss in 0.5 oz of the mixture every 3 to 4 days then let it sit 2 days after the final addition and go to bottles. I am hoping this will make for a fresher aroma at bottling.

Either way, 14 days is about perfect for dry-hopping with 2 oz. If you were using like 4oz.+ I would cut back the time a little, maybe 10 days, to avoid the vegetative flavors people speak of.

Either way, the recipe looks good. Let us know how it goes!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
kepling5001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice I am excited to make it haha! What's the Munich do for your recipe? And this will be my first time dry hopping so I'm a little nervous. I am thinking I may just throw it in the Primary since I normally don't secondary...any thoughts on that?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
rkbarnes82
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I prefer my IPAs a little less sweet so I'd reduce the crystal to a pound or less, probably less. I'd also increase the 2 row for a little higher ABV to balance it out with the increased bitterness.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
kepling5001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbarnes82 View Post
I prefer my IPAs a little less sweet so I'd reduce the crystal to a pound or less, probably less. I'd also increase the 2 row for a little higher ABV to balance it out with the increased bitterness.
The grain bill I'm borrowing from more beers american IPA kit that I made and really liked. It used cascade instead of citra and 1.5 oz of magnum. I kinda liked the kit and it didn't taste too sweet to me but maybe I should bump the magnum up to balance it a bit more?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

I used the Munich Malt to slide my IPA closer to the copper color and give it some malty sweetness. I love the wide spectrum of IPAs out there but I find myself drinking more of the IPAs that balance the hop slap with some maltiness. If they are too dry and bitter I tend to drink less... and that's a problem.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I have a bunch of Citra I want to try out for the first time.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
kepling5001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I have a bunch of Citra I want to try out for the first time.
I'll will let ya know I just ordered the grains today so if it gets here in time I plan on brewing this Saturday...but we will see. More beer has been taking forever to ship out their products lately.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
kepling5001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think at 2 weeks of fermentation I will dry hop with 2 oz of citra and leave it in the bucket for another week. You all think that is a long enough time??

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Plenty of people like Citra straight up but I did it once and found that it seemed like it was lacking something. If you have it I'd toss in some Simcoe at some point, maybe a 15 or 10 minute addition? But that's just me. This will definitely give you a good taste of what Citra offers if that is your goal.

Either way, looks like you're stocked up for some great IPAs in the future with that hop selection.

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply