Circulating your wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
How do you get the wort circulated back over the grain. Are they using a pump to get it back over the grain? I know your suppose to trickle the liquid back over the grain. I have seen several versions on the web, the ice chest, and the version where they are on the stairs, I have made an all grain and was able to get a 1.060 OG. But I want to get better and do it the right way.
When I made mine I slowly poured it back over but its hard not to disturb the grain.

I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you talking about sparging?
Are you doing a multiple step mash? Let me know what type of mash process your are trying to accomplish and maybe I can help you answer your question.

DBAib12 said:
I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you talking about sparging?
Are you doing a multiple step mash? Let me know what type of mash process your are trying to accomplish and maybe I can help you answer your question.

I was under the impression you had to circulate over the grain several times to help clear it up a little?? If not yes the sparge. How are they sparging the grain without distubing it.

ahhh!!!! you should really only have to recurculate about two quarts or so.... if you have an inch or so of water above the grain bed, you can easily pour, or redirect the tube (i use gravity and spigots and tubes so i can make the liquor move).

there is a method where you re-sparge the entire batch back through the grain bed, but i don't think it's necisary. i'm a heathen too :) and rather impatient...

Oh!, OK, I wouldn't worry too much . If you have a RIMS setup then yes
you would flip a valve , turn on a pump and sprinkle back over the grain
through your sparge plumbing..
I do not use a pump ( yet) , I use a 3 quart sauce pan which I let the wort drain into . I then slowly pour the wort back in . Just go slow and you'll be fine. I use a 3 quart sauce pan because I can manipulate it with one hand.

To recirculate the wort, I use a very low tech method. I drain a quart or so off the bottom of the Mash tun, then slowly pour it back on the top through a slotted spoon. I always have enough water on top of the grain bed that drawing a quart or so doesn't lower the level below the top of the grain bed. You want to keep the grain bed "floating." I recirculate for 20 minutes or so. I like the idea of recirculating the entire mash. The smell is wonderful.

I put a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the grain bed. I poke a few holes through the foil to allow liquid to go through. The foil prevents the grain bed from being disturbed when I pour liquid over it (whether it be recirc or sparge water).

Dark_Ale said:
How do you get the wort circulated back over the grain. Are they using a pump to get it back over the grain? I know your suppose to trickle the liquid back over the grain. I have seen several versions on the web, the ice chest, and the version where they are on the stairs, I have made an all grain and was able to get a 1.060 OG. But I want to get better and do it the right way.
When I made mine I slowly poured it back over but its hard not to disturb the grain.

mine is gravity fed, like most and i do recirculate. i just collect run-off into two big plastic pitchers (that are cleaned and sanitized!) from my mash/lauter cooler. i recirculate for 20 minutes, @ 1.9 liters/minute (i add back to the top of the grain bed every 5 minutes). i replace the pitcher w/ the other and gently poor that back on top of the grain bed. i sparge into my brew-kettle after the 20 minutes are up, at a rate of about 1 liter/minute. usualy takes 2-2.5 hrs to sparge. i don't use any irish moss and all my AG have been very clear. even got good clarity comments (from certified beer judges) on the beer i've enterd into contests.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back