Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chocolate Stout recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
3PegBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 835
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Chocolate Stout recipe

Hey guys. I'm getting married in September and my Fiance and I thought it would be a neat idea to make a beer to be a take home gift for each invited couple. We agreed on making a chocolate stout. Problem is, I've never put chocolate in beer before, but I've tasted some amazing ones. I did some searching and think I figured out a recipe. I was hoping I could get some tips or constructive criticism. Thanks

Target Mash Temp is 154F

9 lb German Pils (90 min)
1 lb Vienna Malt (90 min)
3/4 lb British Chocolate Malt (90 min)
1/4 lb Roasted Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Black Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Acid Malt (90 min)
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
4 oz Light Brown Sugar (15 min)
1 lb Honey (15 min)
6 oz Cocoa Powder (15 min)
1 Tbl Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 oz Kent Golding (15 min)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (flame out)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (secondary)
London Ale III Yeast

Plan on Primary stage lasting 2-3 weeks.
Plan on Secondary lasting 3-4 weeks.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!
3PegBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
TonyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 226
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I've made a couple of chocolate stouts from recipes I found here, this one was my favorite: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ande...-stout-207277/

As far as the cocoa powder and chocolate, a little bit goes a long way. I used 4 oz for a 2.5gallon batch, and it was a bit overpowering. When I make this again, I will only use 2oz for 2.5Gallons. That will be mighty chocolaty with all that Ghirardelli.

I'd say try a couple recipes in small batches with different quantities of chocolate before you make a big one for the gifts.

__________________
TonyR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
3PegBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 835
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

I'm thinking about taking out the chocolate from the secondary and only putting it in at flame out. I've been thinking about it and think it possible that the trub will be overwhelming in the secondary.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!
3PegBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
VABeerSnob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 76
Default

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I'm not the authority or anything, so go ahead and try your recipe and let us know how it turns out. One change I would make would be to eliminate the Irish moss. Your beer will be opaque, so why add a clarifier?

If your recipe doesn't meet your standards, try BarleyWater's recipe, "Dark Chocolate Stout" in the HBT database. I have brewed this one twice, to rave reviews from SWMBO and friends who tried it.

__________________
VABeerSnob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
3PegBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 835
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABeerSnob View Post
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I'm not the authority or anything, so go ahead and try your recipe and let us know how it turns out. One change I would make would be to eliminate the Irish moss. Your beer will be opaque, so why add a clarifier?

If your recipe doesn't meet your standards, try BarleyWater's recipe, "Dark Chocolate Stout" in the HBT database. I have brewed this one twice, to rave reviews from SWMBO and friends who tried it.
Good point about the opaqueness.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!
3PegBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
3PegBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 835
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PegBrew View Post
Target Mash Temp is 154F

9 lb German Pils (90 min)
1 lb Vienna Malt (90 min)
3/4 lb British Chocolate Malt (90 min)
1/4 lb Roasted Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Black Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Acid Malt (90 min)
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
4 oz Light Brown Sugar (15 min)
1 lb Honey (15 min)
6 oz Cocoa Powder (15 min)
1 Tbl Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 oz Kent Golding (15 min)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (flame out)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (secondary)
London Ale III Yeast

Plan on Primary stage lasting 2-3 weeks.
Plan on Secondary lasting 3-4 weeks.
So I went to the LHBS yesterday and picked the brains of one of the guys who made an amazing chocolate stout. I switched the black barley to 1/2# Carafa, added 6-8oz Lactose, and cut the Ghirardelli at flameout to 1/4#. The Pils I backed down to 6# and bumped up the Vienna to 3#.
I also decided to keep a clarifier, but changed the irish moss to the tablets.
for hops I decided to goto EK Golding 1/2 60 + 1/2 30.
I'm keeping the 1/2# in the secondary because my clean up is lasting around 21 days which will give it plenty of time to absorb.

If my cards are right I will have a nice roasted nutty flavor with a smooth chocolate after taste.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!
3PegBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
 
TheMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,991
Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I used 6 oz. cocoa powder at 5 mins in my chocolate stout...I didn't feel it had enough chocolate. I would raise it to at least 8 oz. the next time I make it.

__________________
TheMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with my chocolate-cream stout clint1019 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 01-25-2011 03:23 AM
Need some help formulating chocolate cherry stout scone All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 12-17-2009 06:24 PM
chocolate oatmeal stout GHB All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 09-29-2009 12:16 PM
Chocolate Raspberry Stout jpass00 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-18-2009 04:47 PM
Oscars Chocolate Oatmael stout toddrod All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 08-04-2008 05:46 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS