Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > chocolate raspberry imperial stout advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
sha0056
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default chocolate raspberry imperial stout advice

I am planning on using making a chocolate raspberry imperial stout based off the Northern Brewer imperial stout kit and have some questions.

The modifications I am thinking about are:

1. adding 1# flaked oats and 1# base malt mashed for 1 hr at 152 deg F
2. after fermentation, racking onto 6# raspberries (puree) and 4 oz cacao nibs
3. decreasing bittering hop (kit has 1.75 oz summit at 18 AA) to 1.5 oz due to addition of cacao and fruit which I expect to add bitterness

Questions are:

1. any suggestions re: the decrease in hops - I realize that the added bitterness will be offset somewhat by the added 2# of grains
2. thoughts on the amount of fruit / cacao - would like to have a bit of raspberry flavor come through with just a hint of chocolate to go with some of the stout character

I appreciate any thoughts. I have not ordered my supplies yet, but will probably be ordering next week and brewing April 9 (have a friend coming in from out of state who will be brewing with me)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

another question:

I am expecting about a 10% abv from the fermentation before adding the raspberries - any thoughts on how much additional fermentation will take place from the fruit and suggestions on a dry yeast strain to use for bottling. I plan to ferment with Wyeast Scottish Ale with a 12% or so ABV tolerance using a large starter

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this past weekend as above - OG of 1.110 fermenting at 65 deg F. Will rack into secondary after 2 weeks or so and add the bourbon/oak/coffee and the raspberry/ cacao nibs to the two separate batches

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Crinkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

keep us posted, you just made me very thirsty!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha0056
another question:

I am expecting about a 10% abv from the fermentation before adding the raspberries - any thoughts on how much additional fermentation will take place from the fruit and suggestions on a dry yeast strain to use for bottling. I plan to ferment with Wyeast Scottish Ale with a 12% or so ABV tolerance using a large starter
Using the information of how much sugar is in fresh raspberries - and all sources agree, so my info should be good - I'm kind of blown away because it looks like the raspberries would only add about 2.5 gravity points of fermentables. For 6 pounds of berries, I'd have expected more!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
AKnewbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Using the information of how much sugar is in fresh raspberries - and all sources agree, so my info should be good - I'm kind of blown away because it looks like the raspberries would only add about 2.5 gravity points of fermentables. For 6 pounds of berries, I'd have expected more!
What is the points per pounds sugar/gallon you used? With about 14 cups of Pomegranate on my last batch, I was able to calculate 3/4 lbs sugar out of it. That gave me an increase in sugars in 5 gal of about 7 points. Calculated from 1.057 to 1.064. I feel like raspberries would have more of an effect than that, but I guess you never know!
Bottled: Pomegranate Orange Witbier, Yule Gruit, English ESB, 7 Grain Black Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnewbrews

What is the points per pounds sugar/gallon you used? With about 14 cups of Pomegranate on my last batch, I was able to calculate 3/4 lbs sugar out of it. That gave me an increase in sugars in 5 gal of about 7 points. Calculated from 1.057 to 1.064. I feel like raspberries would have more of an effect than that, but I guess you never know!
I calculated just over a quarter pound of sugar in 6 pounds of raspberries, and that part of the math is the simplest. So that makes me pretty much totally confident in my calculations, since about a third of the sugar results in roughly the same proportion of gravity points added.

Now, while I got the EXACT same data regarding the sugar content of raspberries from numerous, completely separate sources, anybody who's eaten raspberries on more than one occasion would probably agree that even just among the perfectly ripe fruit, raspberries can vary wildly, from super tart to super sweet, moreso than almost any other fruit. So think of it as merely an average, but also consider the fact that, for all functional purposes, you might as well treat any deviation from this average as negligible, due to the sheer minuteness of the the increase in gravity, as well as the fact that with so many individual raspberries in 6lbs of them, they should just sort of "even out" to a large degree.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I did a raspberry wheat last summer and it was quite tasty. I think I had 4lbs (I'm at work so I can't check my brewer's log) of frozen, thawed raspberries. It had a fruity flavor in the range of medium. In perspective of your beer, I think 6# sounds good. You have a high ABV and a dark beer, so more fruit will need to shine through that to get a good flavor.

The gravity was almost completely unchanged. I measured gravities all the way through that batch (since I planned on doing more fruit beers in the future). I think it may have raised 1 point.

Also, I have not had experience with nibs. I found a chocolate extract which worked pretty well. I berwed a youngs double choc stout clone, which had me adding cocoa powder in the boil and choc extract after fermentation in the primary, and then again for secondary. Had a light chocolate flavor, probably a little lighter than young's. It was really easy to use, though, so I recommend the extract.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
I did a raspberry wheat last summer and it was quite tasty. I think I had 4lbs (I'm at work so I can't check my brewer's log) of frozen, thawed raspberries. It had a fruity flavor in the range of medium. In perspective of your beer, I think 6# sounds good. You have a high ABV and a dark beer, so more fruit will need to shine through that to get a good flavor.

Also, I have not had experience with nibs. I found a chocolate extract which worked pretty well. I berwed a youngs double choc stout clone, which had me adding cocoa powder in the boil and choc extract after fermentation in the primary, and then again for secondary. Had a light chocolate flavor, probably a little lighter than young's. It was really easy to use, though, so I recommend the extract.
the base beer has a good bit of chocolate character and I just want to have a touch more but hesitate to use extracts - at least with fruit I have heard it gives an artificial flavor. the berries and nibs will be added likely this weekend (and the bourbon / oak / coffee to the other batch) and I will give probably a month in secondary before bottling - will definitely be sure the gravity is stable in the secondary before bottling. FWIW, I did get some dry champagne yeast with my order that I will add at bottling just in case - don't mind if it takes a couple months to carbonate but just want to be sure it does

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BTW, by 48 hours into fermentation, the gravity was already down to 1.040 (used about a 3 qt starter from a smack pack) with significant blowoff - airlocks are on now but still bubbling away!

Quick Reply