New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chocolate or Black malt to colour an ESB?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
CanadianQuaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Chocolate or Black malt to colour an ESB?

Hey everyone,

I need to get a bit more colour into an ESB recipe I came up with using Beersmith and I was wondering if either Black malt or Chocolate malt was better than the other for that task?

I'll be adding 4 oz of said malt to the mash which otherwise contains 9 lbs Maris Otter, 8 oz Crystal and 4 oz Wheat malt.

Thanks!

Nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

De-Bittered black or Carafa Special III

Both are dehusked and will impart the color without as much of the roast character.

That would be my suggestion.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
De-Bittered black or Carafa Special III

Both are dehusked and will impart the color without as much of the roast character.

That would be my suggestion.
OK, I'll have a look for that for future batches, but for now I am stuck with either using Black or Chocolate as that's all I have at hand and brew night is tomorrow night.

Sooooo black or chocolate?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, dark malts and ESB are not a common thing, but if you can't get the Carafa, add the black malt as a late addition to the mash-about 15 minutes before sparging, you will get a lot of color with very little roastiness.
This is a common technique for Schwarzbier.
4oz seems like a lot for a pale beer like ESB.
Do you not have any darker crystal malts?

Good luck,

Tim

Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I dunno...I used Beersmith for the recipe and without the chocolate/black malt the colour was down by the left of the colour meter, near teh yellow, so I wanted to get it more in the mid range. I kept adding black/chocolate malt until I got the colour inthe middle.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianQuaffer View Post
Hey everyone,

I need to get a bit more colour into an ESB recipe I came up with using Beersmith and I was wondering if either Black malt or Chocolate malt was better than the other for that task?

I'll be adding 4 oz of said malt to the mash which otherwise contains 9 lbs Maris Otter, 8 oz Crystal and 4 oz Wheat malt.

Thanks!

Nick
Four ounces is way too much IMO. That's going to skew the beer towards a brownish tinge. An ounce or so will do the trick, assuming you already have some crystal malt in the bill, making the color similar to Fuller's ESB with a deep copper/amber tone. Chocolate would be my choice between the two or as was mentioned earlier German Carafa malt.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

8oz of WHAT crystal malt?? 20L? 60L? 120L??

You can also do a little kettle caramelization to get the color a bit darker, IF you really want to. IMO, that's better than adding black malt. A small hit of chocolate MIGHT be ok, but I do agree it's out of place in an ESB.

Also, what's the reason for adding wheat malt?

Also, the color indicated by BeerSmith could be more than a bit lighter than you'll actually get for the batch.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The Crystal is 60L and the wheat is for head retention.

I thought the chocolat/black malt would be ok...I've heard that Double Dragon Welsh Ale (a best bitter) has a touch of chocolate malt in it.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A brewer at Otter Brewery in the UK told me they use a fraction of a percent of chocolate malt to hit color targets. For my premium bitter, I used one ounce chocolate to get a lovely 12-13 srm.

The first batch had two ounces. That was too much, and the sucker bordered on brown.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Assuming you're making a 5 gallon batch (amount into primary) you should get a SRM of about 7.0 with the MO and .5# of Crystal 60L... IMO, you shouldn't need wheat malt for head retention. IF you REALLY want more/better head, add a small amount of carapils/carafoam (like 1/4 to 1/2 pound) to the recipe.

Also, 'a touch of chocolate malt' could be any amount. It could be equal to 1/2oz per 5 gallon batch. Without a reference recipe (that's a proven match for the original) it's rather difficult to say.

I did a Maris Otter SMaSH 3 weeks ago, kegged it on Saturday. With 1/2# of crystal MO in the batch (55L) the color was amazing. The flavor was even better (the hydrometer sample). I can barely wait to get it carbonated and start pouring pints.
Moral of that story is to not always focus on what SRM the software indicates for the recipe.

Oh, and which version of BeerSmith are you running?? I'm on the very latest release (fully updated). I've noticed that they've improved the formulas that run it over the updates (as well as with v2.0)... If you're running an older version, or yours doesn't have the latest update/patch applied, I'd update it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply