Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chlorophenol aroma in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
bbbblaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chlorophenol aroma in primary

I brewed a CDA (using US-05 yeast and fermenting at about 67*F) about 10 days ago and it's still in the primary fermenter/carboy.

Today I took off the airlock and smelled it and the only way I think I can describe it is medicinal/bandaid/adhesive (chlorophenol). (http://www.flavoractiv.com/products/...-chlorophenol/)

I'm planning on racking to secondary tomorrow, but was wondering if it's normal to smell something like this in the primary, or if this is really going to stick around in the final product...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Phenol can come from sani residue, early ferm, or contamination. This will produce that medicinal character you mentioned. I would still bottle and check it because you never know, but chances are if you taste it now you will taste it later.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
bbbblaine
Recipes 

I used Idophor for that batch, and have now purchased a bottle of StarSan for the breakfast stout I will be brewing tomorrow (I like the idea of the quick sanitizing ability of StarSan better).

Would it be possible for this aroma to come up because of the Idophor? Maybe I didn't let the carboy dry enough first?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

all I use is iodophor and I have never run into that problem. And for the record its as fast and easy as star san but it doesn't hold as long. I mix up a one quart spray bottle at a time and spray and drip all my tools. .75ml per qt is 12.5ppm. That's almost nothing! get a syringe that measures a max of 3ml and .75ml should be no problem to get. DISCARD THE NEEDLE SAFELY and save the body to use over and over! With a quart I can sani my carboy and still have 2/3 of my solution left for my hands and tools on brew day (the next day). Just spray everything in and out and shake it off for 15 sec or so. The dry time will make up for the minute contact time and this small amount WILL NOT contaminate beer. Brew well and save money by mixing a quart at time instead of 2.5 or 5 gal like many of us did for so long...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
bbbblaine
Recipes 

If that's the case, then I really don't know where this off-flavor has come from.

What are some other possibilities? I don't really know where to start. This isn't my first All Grain batch, but it is the first one with this strange aroma...

The only difference would be that this time I used a carboy, and in the past I have used buckets for fermenting All Grain batches. This carboy was last used in a batch that I let sit around for a really long time with a bad batch of beer that got infected. I cleaned with PBW (I think that's what it was? It was a white powder in a plastic baggy) and then sanitized with Idophor...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4920 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Chlorophenols come from chlorine or infection.

I've had an infected batch taste phenolic. I know it was infection because I made a 10 gallon batch, and fermented them side by side. One fermenter's results were awesome, and one was phenolic. I had split a batch in half, using the same hoses and the same ingredients, so it must have been the fermenter itself although I sanitized. It was very disappointing!

The other time I noticed some phenols was when I used tap water that must have had chlorine/chloramines.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ya I would filter or boil tap water pretty good before brewing with it to make sure! Infection sucks. Not very common when we sanitize like we do but its not always perfect. Thats why I started using a spray bottle. when you spray it on its easy to reapply and spray your hands so you can re sani and re sani while working with your beer. Don't forget the mouth of your carboy. Maybe the pbw was mixed strong and left a film in your fermentor.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I have to admit that I've often tasted what I thought was horrible band-aid like flavors when I used too much roasted barley. Can you post your recipe? I suspect you used it in fairly high quantities. I had this exact same flavor (and I thought it was an infection) in a single batch of a beer when I used WAY too much roasted barley.

This is one of the reasons I'm a bigger fan of black patent to darken beers.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting. You have to love trying to chase down brewing problems.. Some are fun to fix others cost money...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
bbbblaine
Recipes 

http://hopville.com/recipe/1084104/h...-01-11-version

That is the recipe I used. I didn't use roasted barley.

I think I may have found the problem though... The bung that I was using was the same one that I used in the last batch that was in this same carboy that got infected. The bung was cleaned and sanitized, but still has some spots on the inside hole apparently, that when I smelled, gave me a strong aroma of what I think is like chlorophenol. Even though it was already cleaned and sanitized, I think the smell stuck around in the bung, so I tossed it and transferred my beer to a secondary fermenter in a bucket that used a new bung. From the sample I took, it doesn't seem to have the chlorophenol flavor, and actually tastes quite good.

I am going to take a small sample down to my LHBS and have a BJCP person tell me if he senses any off flavors or aromas in the beer, but I have a feeling that it is alright now that I removed the infected/smelly bung.

Quick Reply