Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chlorine and carbonate removal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Chlorine and carbonate removal

Using campden tablets to remove chloroamine and CRS to reduce carbonate, does it matter which treatment goes first?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't think so, because they target different chemicals, but there may be some odd interaction where say campden is inhibited by the presence of carbonates, or vice versa... I don't think so though. campden targets the chlorine and releases it, and carbonates are a different compound that breaks up w/ the CRS and creates new balanced water state.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply