Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > chimay red clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
bh10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Pilsner- 11 lbs
Amber CandiSugar- 1 lbs
CaraMunich- 8 oz
Aromatic- 4 oz
Chocolate Malt- 1 oz
Styrian Golding 1.25 oz @ 60 mins
Styrian Golding .25 oz @ 15 mins
WL500

Maida- mine was 17srm IIRC it was dead on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
fyi:

wlp 500 is the Chimay yeast

wlp 530 is Westmalle's

I'm gonna guess that 16 SRM is too light for Chimay.
Check the style guidelines for dubbel. The ceiling is 17 SRM.

I don't believe that "X yeast is X's" when it comes to brewing Belgian beers. Read Brew Like A Monk. These beers are not produced using homebrewing methods. They are sometimes given multiple yeasts, and treated to different temps. I also just read a magazine article where a grad of U.C. Davis recalled his attempt to isolate Chimay yeast, with very poor results.

I believe that 530 is more likely to produce the results I'm seeking.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastySalmon View Post
Are you inverting the cane sugar?
No. Not necessary.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Pilsner- 11 lbs
Amber CandiSugar- 1 lbs
CaraMunich- 8 oz
Aromatic- 4 oz
Chocolate Malt- 1 oz
Styrian Golding 1.25 oz @ 60 mins
Styrian Golding .25 oz @ 15 mins
WL500

Maida- mine was 17srm IIRC it was dead on.
Cool. So you went a little less malty? That looks like a tasty recipe, similar to the one in Clone Brews.

Basically I just took Jamil's dubbel, messed around with it enough to fit the profile for Chimay Red given in Brew Like a Monk, and that was the result.

It may be pointless to try to really duplicate making it based on the ingredients the monks use, seeing as you can't duplicate their methods.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Check the style guidelines for dubbel. The ceiling is 17 SRM.

I don't believe that "X yeast is X's" when it comes to brewing Belgian beers. Read Brew Like A Monk. These beers are not produced using homebrewing methods. They are sometimes given multiple yeasts, and treated to different temps. I also just read a magazine article where a grad of U.C. Davis recalled his attempt to isolate Chimay yeast, with very poor results.

I believe that 530 is more likely to produce the results I'm seeking.
I've read Brew Like A Monk. A homebrewer with good fermentation control can easily produce the same results as the Belgian breweries. Make a starter of repitch from top cropping. Control your temps and you should get very authentic results.

Chimay is fermented with one yeast. Perhaps they use a second yeast for bottling but the primary ferment is a single strain. The bottling yeast has very little effect on the flavor. It's just used for carbonating the beer. White Labs and Wyeast offer the Chimay strain. It's WLP500 or Wyeast 1214. This is common knowledge. White labs and Wyeast are pros and have been isolating and growing these strains for years. I haven't read that article but I'm guessing the Davis grad did not use the equipment and methods available to these pro yeast labs.

WLP530 is the Westmalle strain. It's also used by Westvleteren.

I've used both 500 and 530 and the 500 is much fruitier. 530 makes great beer but if your trying to clone Chimay then use the 500.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
I've read Brew Like A Monk. A homebrewer with good fermentation control can easily produce the same results as the Belgian breweries. Make a starter of repitch from top cropping. Control your temps and you should get very authentic results.

Chimay is fermented with one yeast. Perhaps they use a second yeast for bottling but the primary ferment is a single strain. The bottling yeast has very little effect on the flavor. It's just used for carbonating the beer. White Labs and Wyeast offer the Chimay strain. It's WLP500 or Wyeast 1214. This is common knowledge. White labs and Wyeast are pros and have been isolating and growing these strains for years. I haven't read that article but I'm guessing the Davis grad did not use the equipment and methods available to these pro yeast labs.

WLP530 is the Westmalle strain. It's also used by Westvleteren.

I've used both 500 and 530 and the 500 is much fruitier. 530 makes great beer but if your trying to clone Chimay then use the 500.
But I don't consider Chimay to be fruity at all compared to other belgians. They also ferment beer way faster and at different temperatures. According to BLAM, they pitch at 68, rise to 82, and secondary at 32 for 3 days. I don't think I could do that at home, nor would I want to.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
But I don't consider Chimay to be fruity at all compared to other belgians. They also ferment beer way faster and at different temperatures. According to BLAM, they pitch at 68, rise to 82, and secondary at 32 for 3 days. I don't think I could do that at home, nor would I want to.
I fermented mine a 66-68*, extremely vigorus fementation.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
IMHO Chimay is distinctly fruity tasting. Like apricots, raisins and apples.

With the 530 or 500 yeasts I usually pitch at 65 and raise it to the low 70's during the first week. I don't use a secondary. But if If I needed to pitch at 68 and rise to 82 that would be no problem. I have a fermentation chamber with heating and cooling controls. I did a saison recently and started in the mid 60's and finished in the mid 80's The saison yeast (WLP565) really likes the heat towards the end for full attenuation. The chimay yeast (WLP500) also gets better attenuation if you heat it towards the end of the ferment. I've gotten good results in the low 70's. 80's seams excessive but I assume that Chimay does that to speed up the process. If you want to make a truly authentic Chimay you should definitely follow their fermentation schedule. The Chimay yeast (and most any yeast) produce different flavors at different temps. Proper temp control is a huge factor in beer flavor. Especially with a beer like this that derives so much of it's flavor from the yeast esters and phenols. Also, pay close attention to pitching rates and oxygen as they also have a big factor on yeast flavors.

Also the cold crash (secondary at 32) appears to be a method for getting the yeast to floc quicker so they can move to bottle faster and free up the fermenters for the next batch. The Chimay yeast (WLP500) is very slow to flocculate and will hang in suspension for over a week following the fermentation unless you crash cool it. I bet Chimay saves several extra days of fermentation time with these methods.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #19
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

I've made Denny's Chimaybe recipe and it is close enough that when you are drinking it, you know what it's supposed to be. His recipe is near the bottom of this thread:

http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/152800

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
IMHO Chimay is distinctly fruity tasting. Like apricots, raisins and apples.

With the 530 or 500 yeasts I usually pitch at 65 and raise it to the low 70's during the first week. I don't use a secondary. But if If I needed to pitch at 68 and rise to 82 that would be no problem. I have a fermentation chamber with heating and cooling controls. I did a saison recently and started in the mid 60's and finished in the mid 80's The saison yeast (WLP565) really likes the heat towards the end for full attenuation. The chimay yeast (WLP500) also gets better attenuation if you heat it towards the end of the ferment. I've gotten good results in the low 70's. 80's seams excessive but I assume that Chimay does that to speed up the process. If you want to make a truly authentic Chimay you should definitely follow their fermentation schedule. The Chimay yeast (and most any yeast) produce different flavors at different temps. Proper temp control is a huge factor in beer flavor. Especially with a beer like this that derives so much of it's flavor from the yeast esters and phenols. Also, pay close attention to pitching rates and oxygen as they also have a big factor on yeast flavors.

Also the cold crash (secondary at 32) appears to be a method for getting the yeast to floc quicker so they can move to bottle faster and free up the fermenters for the next batch. The Chimay yeast (WLP500) is very slow to flocculate and will hang in suspension for over a week following the fermentation unless you crash cool it. I bet Chimay saves several extra days of fermentation time with these methods.
All I meant is that I would never let it reach 82. I have a good ferm chamber but I'd start at 64 and ramp up to 72. And you're right, Chimay does have those tastes, but when a lot of people say "fruitiness" to me it tastes like banana. I can't stand banana taste in beers. I have some memories of beers brewed without proper temp control.

Quick Reply