Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chicha de Jora - Brewing With Coarse Corn Meal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #21
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 394 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdautry View Post

As to Troy, talking about Molle or Chicha de Molle... In Huanta a very refined Chicha de Molle is made with red seeds from the Molle tree, the hangovers are so widely known that it is a thing of legend in South America.

Salud!
Michael

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
Yep... Schinus Molle is what's called a pepper tree here in SoCal. They grow fast, they grow to be huge, and they have a nasty habit of getting hollow and brittle in their old age, and going down in windstorms. A 65 year old pepper tree snapped in my yard a couple of months ago, and completely blocked the street seventy feet away. It took me a week to cut it up and feed all the small stuff through a chipper/shredder. Could've been a lot worse; it was leaning towards the house and the wind took it the other way instead.

Pepper trees aren't related to the vine that produces black pepper, but the dried berries grind, smell and taste surprisingly like peppercorns. When you buy the little pepper grinders pre-loaded with various colored peppercorns, the pink ones are usually either Schinus Molle or Schinus Terebinthifolius, a shrubby close relative.

Apparently the traditional way to make chicha molle was to rub off the thin layer of soft pulp off the seeds before the ripe berries dried, and ferment it. Which could be labor-intensive; imagine how many berries the size of a peppercorn you have to rub to get enough pulp for a gallon of chicha. I've read that archaeologists believe some cultures reserved it for royalty.

Surprisingly, traditional chicha molle was supposedly a light, delicately flavored drink. That makes me wonder if the chicha molle you're talking about is something else, perhaps flavored with the molle berries.

Anyway, my remaining trees are probably loaded with fresh berries right now. Unfortunately I work out of town, haven't been home for a month, and may not get there for another month. So the chicha molle may get added to the list of projects awaiting me when I retire next year.
schinus_molle-berries.jpg   schinus-molle.jpg  
That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
This is sober liquor,
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
mdautry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting the info and pictures.

Unfortunately, the batch was a disaster... It tasted like vinegar and not like "Chicha" verified by a real Peruvian. I'm not sure where I went wrong but I have found a lot more information in my quest for Chica. Interestingly, moon shiners seem to know a couple of things about converting corn and have even an excellent resource.

I would like to contribute some info to the boards...

Check out this website for some pretty crazy enzymes, note I haven't tried them yet.

http://www.enzymash.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1818

Also, of note diastatic malt powder may be a cheap source of enzymes for starch conversion, haven't tried this yet.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz

Also, I have found some information that seems reliable but I can't verify just yet... Check the 6th post down on the 1st page by KGB.

http://www.brewhausforum.com/showthread.php?2029-Cracked-corn-questions

Also, I found a small website with a bunch of Chicha recipes and information:

http://xb-70.com/beer/chicha/ch_recip.htm

I will try again but it may take a few weeks...
Thanks everyone for the input!
Michael

Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 394 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Keep us updated; it's an interesting subject.

That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
This is sober liquor,
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Quick Reply