Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chicha de Jora - Brewing With Coarse Corn Meal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
mdautry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chicha de Jora - Brewing With Coarse Corn Meal

As far as malting the corn goes, my research indicated that there are several ways to extract sugar from corn. Yes saliva has an enzyme which will break down the corn much like barley has naturally. I have read accounts of settlers throwing corn bread or porridge directly into the kettle in order to create beer. This was done because of two reasons, it was not customary for Europeans to chew malt nor was it normal for them to germinate corn. The early settlers of the now USA found it very difficult to germinate corn and were desperate for beer. As the Native Americans were very good at growing corn (see: growing corn - The Three Sisters) and not grain, the settlers were thusly screwed until they formulated a work around.

The bottom line here, I do not know what I'm doing and this is extremely experimental!

Also, I would encourage others to use flaked corn in their recipe as it will undoubtedly create a much better beverage...

I'm not familiar with amylase additives, where could I pick that up and how much would be needed per pound of corn?

Salud!
Michael

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Kudos for having the huevos to experiment. Keep us updated. There is a romance about using corn that really appeals to me!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

You can get amylase enzyme at any home brew shop. You can also use beano in a pinch if you wanted. But you're going to end up with a weak starchy drink otherwise.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 05-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #14
mdautry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, this is try # 1. I will keep everyone updated as I learn more...

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1399514108.811076.jpg

Imagine a beautiful banana bread aroma but replace banana with clove, cinnamon, fennel, mint, and brown sugar.

It's awesome, hopefully a good sign...

Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #15
Joewalla88
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In my experience, the powder amylase works pretty good for conversion. You can just add it to the fermentor.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #16
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdautry View Post
Thanks for the feedback, this is try # 1. I will keep everyone updated as I learn more...

Attachment 198069

Imagine a beautiful banana bread aroma but replace banana with clove, cinnamon, fennel, mint, and brown sugar.

It's awesome, hopefully a good sign...

Looks like a good start.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Very Cool!! I love experimental brewing! Let us know how it turns out

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores World Wide.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm glad you picked this up. I was hoping to experiment with this at some point. I was thinking flaked corn and 6 row to help conversion.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
mdautry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chicha de Jora - Brewing With Coarse Corn Meal

Chicha from Ayacucho is made with wheat, barley, and chickpeas so I would consider the addition of malted grain to be authentic to this style.

As to Troy, talking about Molle or Chicha de Molle... In Huanta a very refined Chicha de Molle is made with red seeds from the Molle tree, the hangovers are so widely known that it is a thing of legend in South America.

Well, I took seabass' advice and purchased some amylase from the HBS and tossed it into the fermenter. I wanted to experiment with cooked corn meal but found the Amylase to be so cheap I cant find any reason I shouldn't use it.

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1399574976.002195.jpg

This bottle was $1.50 and you only use 1/2 a tablespoon per 5 gallons. This bottle should last a long time...

Salud!
Michael

Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 19

When making an American Lager you do a cereal mash by adding 6-row malt to the grits. You do a step mash at 131 for 15 minutes, 158 for 20 minutes, 180 for 10 minutes and then boil for 15 minutes. 6-row has better enzymes for converting rice and corn. This is usually added back to the rest of the mash to raise the temps from a protein rest to a beta amylaze rest. In your case that wouldn't be done and you could boil longer. Just something to think about if you try this again. Hope it works out for you!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance, if you're not stupid!

Quick Reply