The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chicago water...PH Stabilizer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
vav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chicago water...PH Stabilizer?

So i'm almost ready to do my first all grain...got my MLT, 10 gallon pot, burner, etc. Picked up some PH test strips to check my water, and Brewsmith has a Chicago water profile.
My test came out to be about 8.2, which sounds about right...very hard water.

Now, i know that the natural acids in certain malts will reduce the PH of the mash on their own, but i'm curious about Five Star's 5.2. I'm thinking of picking some up and stabalizing the mash & sparge water anyway just to be on the safe side.

Thoughts?

Edit: For the record, it is indeed municipal city tap water i tested, as i live in the city, though on the very north side.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The pH being 8.2 does not tell you that you have very hard water. The pH in almost all municipalities is adjusted to this basic range to prevent any pipe corrosion.

The malt will bring the pH down, but the amount it will bring it down will depend on the buffering capabilities of your water.

The 5.2 stabilizer will buffer your mash pH to around the ideal range.

If I were you, I would do one of 2 things:
-Get the 5.2 and use it, it will probably do everything you need it to, it does for me.
-Since you have the test strips you could just get some acid and adjust the mash pH after dough in.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
vav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
The pH being 8.2 does not tell you that you have very hard water. The pH in almost all municipalities is adjusted to this basic range to prevent any pipe corrosion.

The malt will bring the pH down, but the amount it will bring it down will depend on the buffering capabilities of your water.

The 5.2 stabilizer will buffer your mash pH to around the ideal range.

If I were you, I would do one of 2 things:
-Get the 5.2 and use it, it will probably do everything you need it to, it does for me.
-Since you have the test strips you could just get some acid and adjust the mash pH after dough in.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what i thought, i figured i'd just get some to be on the safe side.

Naturally i picked up Palmer's How To Brew, but the chemistry is confusing to me...equations hate me

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Quick Reply