The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cherry Wood Smoked Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
ihelix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cherry Wood Smoked Porter

Any brewers out there brewed/brewing with the Briess Cherry Wood Smoked Malt?

I am brewing this tomorrow evening; I have not tried the Cherry Wood Smoked Malt before, but the Charlie Papazian article discussing this malt in Zymurgy caught my eye.

Not sure how my ratios will work out, I am hoping none of the flavors are too dominant and they can work together: malt, chocolate, smoke and hops.

5 gallon brew:
12lb Maris Otter
2lb Briess Smoked Malt (Cherry Wood)
1.75lb Chocolate Malt
.75lb Crystal 80
2oz Pearle (90min)
1oz Mt. Hood (15min)
SafAle US-05

Mashing at 154

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd never even heard of that before. The recipe looks good. How strong is the smoke supposed to be in that malt? I know peat smoked malt becomes overwhelming at very small amounts while rauchmalt is only slightly noticeable until it becomes a large part of the grain bill. I'd imagine this is more like the beechwood smoked rauchmalt. Let us know how it comes out!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
LordHedgie
Recipes 

It's a wonderful malt, and not too strong a smoke flavor. It's a sweeter smoke than rauch or peat, and maybe just a hair stronger than rauch in intensity.

With your recipe, I'd expect a good hint of sweet smoke, but not enough that a non-beer snob would notice it without a hint -- keep in mind my low opinion of the tasting abilities of non-beer snobs. A homebrewer will instantly taste the smoke, but even people who don't like smoke shouldn't be put off by it. Sounds good!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed a smoked porter. I used 5 lbs of rauch malt in 12 gallons (post boil), about 20% of the grist (you're at 13%). I don't think it has enough smoke character. Next time around I'm going to try 30%.

I think you're going to get a pretty subtle smoke character. If that's what you want, go for it.

Disclaimer: This assumes the Briess smoked malt is similar in smoke character to the Weyermann beechwood smoked malt. I haven't used the Briess malt.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
LordHedgie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
Disclaimer: This assumes the Briess smoked malt is similar in smoke character to the Weyermann beechwood smoked malt. I haven't used the Briess malt.
This is cherrywood not beechwood, so it's very different.. But yes, it'll be subtle. I was under the impression that was the goal. I wouldn't call this a smoked porter myself, but it'll have hints of smoke. If you want smoke to dominate, I'd go 35%+ smoke. But I like smoke, and I enjoy a 100% rauchmalt beer from time to time...

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
ihelix
Recipes 

During the mash, the smoke aroma was quite evident...now during the boil, the smokiness has been subdued. Of course, I have been smoking an Indian Tabac cigar during the boil and the smokey aroma may be overpowered.

Will posts results in a month or so.

If I die beside my brewpot with homebrew in hand...I shall die a happy man. I hope someone moves me away from the burner though.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
This is cherrywood not beechwood, so it's very different.. But yes, it'll be subtle. I was under the impression that was the goal. I wouldn't call this a smoked porter myself, but it'll have hints of smoke. If you want smoke to dominate, I'd go 35%+ smoke. But I like smoke, and I enjoy a 100% rauchmalt beer from time to time...

My beer is still in the fermenter. I want to wait until it's cold and carbed before I make any final decisions on where I want to go with the smoke level, but the gravity samples are telling me it's not quite where I want it. I love smoke, too, but I'm not sure I want it to dominate. I want it to be on par with the other flavors.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
1602JJ
Recipes 

Used that same smoked malt about two months ago now and beer smells great overshot the og so I am holding it back in the carboy for a while.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
CGengo
Recipes 

I noticed this new malt at my LHBS yesterday but didn't do so until I was resealing the rauchmalt grain bag after weighing it out and mixing with my other grains - I would love to have tried this in my smoked porter instead.

BTW...Briess recommends limiting the usage to 60% of the grist so I think it's a bit smokier than rauchmalt but much less so than peated malt.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2968 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

I picked up 5# yesterday. Wow, this is totally different than the Weyermann Beechwood Smoked. It is really food-like, smoked sausage/bacon. I'd be careful with this, much sweeter aroma than the normal smoked. I don't think this would make a good rauch, but might enhance a complex porter nicely.

Quick Reply