Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cherry Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
coogee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would firstly wash the fresh cherries then freeze and secondary. It's worth noting you will lose some beer to the fruit and that the taste can be subtle, you need a fair amount of cherries. I've done it with Porters too with very nice results. The suggested 50% wheat bill looks best if you want the cherries to stand out most. Happy brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
coogee
Recipes 

And when someone says "subscribed", it's just a way of saying they are interested in the answer to your question too. Like "+1".

Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogee View Post
And when someone says "subscribed", it's just a way of saying they are interested in the answer to your question too. Like "+1".

Just FYI, you don't have to post to subscribe. Just go to the Thread Tools menu at the top and subscribe there. Cleaner that way.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts

But But But..... them I'm not participating I'm lurking I'm not against secondaries,I just haven't done one yet. Does anyone have any experience adding fruit to primary, say 2 weeks into a 4 week ferment? I suspect bottling bucket is a poor option and I've heard foul things about imitation/extract flavoring.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
Wildcat_Fan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just kegged my cherry wheat last weekend. The sample from the secondary was awesome. I picked 2 pounds of cherries from my tree and threw them in whole to the secondary. I let it sit for about 5 weeks. When it was finished, there was a nice tart cherry flavor (the cherries are almost lemon sour when picked) and some residual spiciness from the WLP300 yeast. One unexpected result was that the yeast actually fell out of suspension due the the cherries acting as a fining agent. Guess I ended up with a crystal cherry wheat.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
mxfuel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used Jonas217's recipe except I used American Ale yeast II. Northern Brewer was out of the I yeast. It has been in the primary ferm since Aug. 4th. I am going to put it in the secondary tonight along with about 8 pounds of the cherries. I will keg it on Aug. 26th. I will give an update on taste and color in about a week. Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am making a cherry vanilla milk stout. I am taking it off primary (3weeks) now to the keg to age in my kegator for another two months before serving.

1.5 weeks I added black cherry juice (its a thick juice). 1.5 for the yeast to do its thing. Should come out good.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
mxfuel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the slow follow up. I used way too many cherries!! The color is slightly less dark than a tomatoe juice. The taste is less tart and sweet than a grapefuit juice. The first time I had some (after a few beers), I thought this is not the worst beer I have ever had. The 2nd glass I thought it was a little better. A few days later I had a glass (with no prior beers) and thought this is terrible. I actually mixed it with orange juice which made it better. The only reason I have not thrown it out is because I don't have a beer to replace it with yet. If I had to go back now I would have added 2 lbs of cherries max. I will try to post a photo.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
mxfuel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a photo.

img_5906.jpg  

Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png