Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cheapest Place to Buy Bulk Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #71
kkocher13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree with dfohio. I'm in PA and can't always get to a bulk malt wholesaler. I can order from AHS and get good product much cheaper than my LHBS. Unless you do a bulk buy with a bunch of people you can't beat the price for 200# of 2 row shipped to your door step.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #72
flipper51
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkocher13 View Post
I agree with dfohio. I'm in PA and can't always get to a bulk malt wholesaler. I can order from AHS and get good product much cheaper than my LHBS. Unless you do a bulk buy with a bunch of people you can't beat the price for 200# of 2 row shipped to your door step.
No offense, but what do you mean by "can't beat"? It's fine to have loyalty to a store, or to be happy with the price you're getting and not think it's worth it to shop around, but this statement taken literally is simply false. I'm not going to rehash why, except to note that if you are in PA my previous posts absolutely apply to you.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #73
flipper51
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfohio View Post
I don't understand what the argument is about. Forrest cannot possibly beat the price of wholesale; end of story. What he can do is offer excellent service and unique product offers. I think he does this well. A couple bucks more for homebrew shop advice and convenience is well worth it for a lot of customers. People develop loyalty because of these services.
Now these are reasonable points, which I largely agree with. Forrest obviously runs a good business, evidenced by the amount he does and the support he has from customers here.

I was an AHS customer until a couple years ago. I left in part because of the tone of Forrest's posts in threads like these - it just rubs me the wrong way*.

I got drawn into this thread simply to provide some straight answers on shipping charges from North Country (ironically, requested by Forrest). I was the second person to do that, after Reelale (his was $27 to North Carolina, BTW). Then, somehow I became afflicted with Internet Argument Disease:

I should have left it at this:
I can order a sack of any variety of Best Malz or Malteries Franco-Belges shipped to my house on an island off Massachusetts for $0.99/lb. And now I will drop it, and sincerely apologize for causing any drama at HBT.

* I realize, based on the support of others, that this is probably a problem with me not him -- my reading of his words must be different from others'

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #74
bja
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper51 View Post
* I realize, based on the support of others, that this is probably a problem with me not him -- my reading of his words must be different from others'
Obviously. How can you determine what is and what isn't the best deal for everyone else? You're not in their situations.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #75
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Obviously. How can you determine what is and what isn't the best deal for everyone else? You're not in their situations.
No, he isn't. But Country Malting Group can ship 220 lbs to pretty much everywhere in the country for cheaper than AHS's 200lb deal.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #76
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3115 Times on 3034 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper51 View Post
I was an AHS customer until a couple years ago. I left in part because of the tone of Forrest's posts in threads like these - it just rubs me the wrong way*.

Not necessarily a problem with you. One poorly worded, sarcastic or belittling response can turn many people off. Happens all the time in "Real World" situations. Much easier to happen in a text only medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Classy. Our Friend Flipper basically rolls over and you go for another kick.

Quick Reply