Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cheapest Place to Buy Bulk Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Austinhomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

The price is cheaper than Northern Brewer delivered, Midwest delivered, More Beer delivered, and probably Country Malt group delivered.

Can you buy 200 pounds of 2-row for less than $1.149 a pound delivered in Juneau AK?

When comparing prices you need to include shipping.

For example if you order 200 pounds from Northern Brewer and you live in Minneapolis, the grain would cost you $167.96 and the shipping would be $63.24. Divided by 200 pounds you will get $1.156 per pound.

For example if you order 200 pounds from Midwest Supplies and you live in Minneapolis, the grain would cost you $191.80 and the shipping would be $60.68. Divided by 200 pounds you will get $1.2624 per pound.

(I used Minneapolis as the lowest price shipping they will offer for bags of grain. If you live further away than Minneapolis your shipping would be significantly higher.)

Budbo: 100 pounds of grain is not really bulk. 200 pounds is a perfect size for me. You can share with other homebrewers.

Forrest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay075j View Post
How is that 200 lbs packaged? I may be interested in bringing that up to CT....
4 x 50 pound boxes.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUConrad View Post
I use the country malt group. They have great prices if you can get a bulk order together.
How much would 200 pounds of 2-row cost you delivered to your house from Country Malt Goup? Just Curious. I don't want to create an account to find out. Total including shipping.

Forrest

Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Brew Brothers - Malt by the Bag, 200 lbs would be 132 (can order 50 at a time - 33 a bag - .66/lb). Close enough that I can pick up. Maybe $10 gas money if I'm floored there and back ;-)

My LHBS charges 60/bag of the same...
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin
HBrew71 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The OP said he's in upstate NY which is where NCM is located. I'd assume they would allow a pickup. In that case it would be about $35/sack of MO.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #16
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Can you buy 200 pounds of 2-row for less than $1.149 a pound delivered in Juneau AK?
I could locally until the LHBS upped the prices in the Summer. It went from $45 a sack to $65.

I still can get it cheaper though BrewBrothers in Portland or Larry's in Seattle area... taking advantage of work shipping discounts though.

Quote:
When comparing prices you need to include shipping.
Well, in that case you're more expensive than MoreBeer, Midwest, NorthernBrewer or my LHBS to my location. $229.95 + 524.20 shipping UPS Ground = $3.77/lb, yuck!

My comment wasn't really to tear you down, I probably could have worded it better, you just have a different business model. You charge more for malt price, but that's really to make up for the flat price you charge for shipping, except in my case where I pay actual rates. Others advertise a lower cost of malt but you have to pay actual shipping charges.

What maltster do you guys use for 2-Row by the way? Personally I'd add something on the page that says you're cheaper than most on the page with shipping included and that it's available for the flat shipping. I wouldn't be surprised if some people saw the higher prices and went elsewhere or figured it wasn't included in the flat shipping like how sacks of grain is not with other shops.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I buy my grain at Friar Tucks, a regional super-liquor store. There is no other LHBS for me. They carry 1lb bags at $1.59 or 10lb at $12. I've tried to talk them into carrying 55lb sacks, but they won't do it.

Someday, when I finish grad school, I'm going to open one of those homebrew stores/brew-it-on-premises places. Who needs a PhD when there is homebrew.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
I buy my grain at Friar Tucks, a regional super-liquor store. There is no other LHBS for me. They carry 1lb bags at $1.59 or 10lb at $12. I've tried to talk them into carrying 55lb sacks, but they won't do it.

Someday, when I finish grad school, I'm going to open one of those homebrew stores/brew-it-on-premises places. Who needs a PhD when there is homebrew.
You're a couple hours from Chicago area but if you're ever up there Midcountry does pickups... I think they even ship from the location but I don't know what their rates are... I know I heard somewhere for orders 200+ pounds they ship freight for fairly inexpensive prices.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #19
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASTiK View Post
I could locally until the LHBS upped the prices in the Summer. It went from $45 a sack to $65.

I still can get it cheaper though BrewBrothers in Portland or Larry's in Seattle area... taking advantage of work shipping discounts though.

Well, in that case you're more expensive than MoreBeer, Midwest, NorthernBrewer or my LHBS to my location. $229.95 + 524.20 shipping UPS Ground = $3.77/lb, yuck!

My comment wasn't really to tear you down, you just have a different business model. You charge more for malt price, but that's really to make up for the flat price you charge for shipping, except in my case where I pay actual rates. Others advertise a lower cost of malt but you have to pay actual shipping charges.
Actually I break even or sometimes lose money on this deal. I don't "make up" for the flat price shipping. The stores that charge shipping charges make money. I am not complaining, I set the prices.

To ship just one of the 50 pound boxes to Connecticut cost me $3 for the box and $38.64 for the shipping. Of the $229.99, $154.56 is my shipping cost and $12 for boxes (triple wall). So, that leaves $63.43 for 200 pounds which equals 31.7 cents a pound. I pay more than 31.7 cents a pound. I still only charge $6.99 for shipping. All of the majors charge full shipping on this amount of grain. If I were to charge full shipping to CT for example, and your bill still came to $229.99, I would be selling you a 4 50 pound bags of 2row for $18.85 plus shipping per bag.

Of course, there will be lots of people that will chime in and say that they can walk in to a store and get it for a little cheaper. That doesn't help the person that has to order online. I am talking delivered price. I can't be everything to everyone. Most people will find this to be a really good deal. Some won't. I think what people what is a good deal for themselves. If you have a good deal in your town, people that are not in your town will not get that deal.

I am sure you understand.
Forrest

Now that I did the math, why am I doing this?

Reason: Second thought

Old 01-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Brew Brothers - Malt by the Bag, 200 lbs would be 132 (can order 50 at a time - 33 a bag - .66/lb). Close enough that I can pick up. Maybe $10 gas money if I'm floored there and back ;-)

My LHBS charges 60/bag of the same...
How much do they charge for shipping to upstate NY? Just curious.

Not trying to be funny just trying to keep an eye on the competition.

Forrest

Quick Reply