Challenge: a brew for easter holidays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuizArgh

Reaction score
ok, here's the deal.

every year me and my friends go to a house on the beach in easter. It's hot, it's sunny, and now I want it to be beer-perfect, so next week i'm gonna brew a 8-gallon batch of what will be the "official 2010 easter beer".

It has to be light to medium body, somewhat refreshing (it's a beach and the weather is hot), medium to medium-high alcohol (6-7,5%, so everyone can get happy quickly and continuously), NOT overhopped (bitterness just for the balance), simple grain bill (no money for expensive special stuff, and I have loads of pilsener malt here), dry yeast (same reason). Oh, and it has to ferment fully in no more than 14 days.

So, what would you guys do? Those are my only requirements. everything else is a blank page, including hop aroma, esters and malt profile. I made a sketch of a recipe that kinda looks like a belgian blonde ale, but i'm really curious to see your suggestions.

[and just so you know, yeah, I live in the southern hemisphere]

honestly, I'd buy a few 30 packs of Bud Light....

Or you could search some of the lighter recipes on here light BierMuncher's blonde......

Hefe is always a good turn around beer. Although you are really cutting it close and definitely drinking a "green" beer. So in that respect it won't be beer perfect.

Oddly enough I tasted my dry stout (before I added cherries it was only 4.9% abv ) and it was super quaffable at 2 weeks and flat. So I guess it can be done, but just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

bud light?? ok, that's just rude.

anyway, easter is one month and a week away. I said 2 weeks for fermentation so I can mature it (and prime it) for another 2.

70% pilsner malt
20% munich
10% carapils

aim for an og of between 1.055-1.060

mash at 148-150 for 60 minutes

bitter to 25 IBU using hop of your choice, though a 10 minute and flameout addition of simcoe would work really well. For the flameout addition, cool the wort briefly to 200 dF or so, then stir in the hops and let them steep like that for 30 minutes. Then chill the rest of the way.

ferment with nottingham or us-05 in the low 60s.

that should make a refreshing light-colored beer with only enough bitterness to balance the malt.

Easter is over a month away

Brew a Hefe with WB-06, ferment it out at 64 for the first few days then 66 after that.
Three week beer tops

Search

"Just another brewday", or look at the recipe in my dropdown. This wit can be made with any number of dry yeast (I used notty).

Back