Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Central NJ Malt Group Buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Central NJ Malt Group Buy

The group buy is definitely a GO but the PALLET is now FULL so orders are closed.. There might be a slot here or there if the folks who need to pay in advance don't come through.

The shipping would be to Piscataway and you'd pick up your share from there. Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.

The WHALES homebrew club is also buying quite a few sacks so figure on about $6 per sack for shipping.

The source is Northcountrymalt.com and they carry Bairds, Best Maltz, Thomas and Fawcett, etc.

PAYMENT
If you're a long time supporting member here, I'll take your word that you'll pick up and pay what you said you'll pick up. Pay cash in person. If you're not, I'll take payment in advance via check or paypal.

I will place the order next Friday or Monday 8/10/08 the latest and will take shipment as soon as they can arrange it.

So far:
Bobby_M 3 sacks (2 MO, Pilsner)
AnoldUR 2 sacks MO, 20lb specialty, 1 sack BM Wheat to split with BKOV.
BKOV 2 sacks MO, 1/2 sack of wheat split with AnoldUR, 20# specialty.
Wilserbrewer 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) + 20 pounds specialty - PM'd me info already.
Flyangler 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) , + 25 pounds specialty.
Rommelmagic 2 sacks (Canada 2-row, MO) + 10lb each vienna and munich, 5lb wheat
MrNate 2 sack TF MO, 1 sack Can Pilsen (any problem with Best Maltz German Pils?) + 5lb Munich if left.
Southandros 1 Pils Franco-Belge #HF101, 1 Munich, Best # B201, 2 Pils, BestMaltz, B101, 2 sacks Canada Malting #2060

WHALES club 11 sacks mixed.

Community split: 5 sacks (20L, 40L, Vienna, Munich, Pale Wheat) $5/5lb.

Here's the price list..find the malt you want, multiply the 1000# price by 55 to get the sack price, then add $6 per sack to cover shipping to my house. http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/NC_SalesBook.pdf

Pickup Locations
Primary is my house in Piscataway NJ which is very accessible from RT 18, RT 287, and the TNPK.
AnoldUR offered to deliver your malt down "near" Philly (Seargentsville) and Wilserbrew can get it down to souther Monmouth County. I can get your malt up into Paramus, NJ which is basically the northern tip.

I'm not profitting from this deal at all in case you were wondering.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
bkov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Im interested but not 100% positive yet. Its about a 45-60minute drive each way. I'll post a definate answer over the weekend and if so, what i want.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
This thread is going to start out as a "feeler" to see what the interest level is for a malt group buy. The shipping would be to Piscataway and you'd pick up your share from there. Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.

I also have a feeler post out to my homebrewclub (The WHALES). While a pallet can hold 42 sacks, the cost effective threshold is at about 20 sacks. I think that's reasonable.

The source is Northcountrymalt.com and they carry Bairds, Best Maltz, Thomas and Fawcett, etc.

If we get 20+ sacks, the per sack price on Baird's Maris Otter for example, is $45 shipped. At 40 sacks, it's $42 each. (note that Brewer's Apprentice and Keystone Homebrew are getting about $65-68 for the same malt).

If you're a long time supporting member here, I'll take your word that you'll pick up and pay what you said you'll pick up. If you're not, I'll take payment in advance.

Since the project is still up in the air, I can't give you an exact date of when it would go down, but I'm targeting for a late August ship date.

Thoughts? How many sacks of what kinds of malt?
Bobby,

I did a group buy like you are proposing back in April and it's a great way to get grain in bulk. I got 41 sacks on a pallet and the price is the same for shipping if it's 20 or 42 sacks of grain. The most cost effective way is to try and get full pallets.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Count me in for one sack of the Baird's Maris Otter.

Edit: Make that two. (Just thinking about how fast that last sack went!)

Billy-Klubb

Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
Im interested but not 100% positive yet. Its about a 45-60minute drive each way. I'll post a definate answer over the weekend and if so, what i want.
I also have in-laws up in Paramus so I could drop off maybe up to 4 sacks.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Of course, I encourage you to post your interest here and make sure your location is evident so distribution can be coordinated if a few people are from similar neighborhoods.
I’m definitely in on this, and am located roughly half way between Philly and Easton, across the river in NJ. If any of you PA guys are interested, I would be willing to bring your grain this far for you. Work your payment out with Bobby and you can pick-up here.

Billy-Klubb

Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm in for two sacks, maybe three (2 row...MO it's all good). Are you thinking of splitting any specialty grains?

Thanks for taking this on Bobby, I've been on the lookout for an opportunity like this. I propose a free sack for Bobby for taking on this task!

PS I'm in Southern Monmouth county (Wall) and would be willing to haul an additional 4-5 sacks in that direction.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I plan on adding a sack of crystal 20, 40, Vienna and Munich (light) and breaking it into 5lb shares at $5. I think there are very few others that you'd really use enough of to make it worth it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

"If we get 20+ sacks, the per sack price on Baird's Maris Otter for example, is $45 shipped. At 40 sacks, it's $42 each. (note that Brewer's Apprentice and Keystone Homebrew are getting about $65-68 for the same malt)."

to get the cheapest possible prices, do the sacks all have to be the same or can they be mixed? For example, lets say we got a total of 11 sacks for bairds maris otter, and 11 sacks for wheat. Would the maris otter still be $45 shipped?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The per sack price goes down as the number of total sacks goes up because the shipping cost is fixed at $132. If we only got 20 sacks for example, it's $132/20 or about $7 shipping on top of each sack.

Quick Reply