Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Centennial Blonde tastes like my Nierra Sevada

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Is the cascade the bittering hop addition? If so you can trying doing a first wort hop instead of at 60 minutes and that should help smooth out the biting bitterness a little.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydhudson View Post
I am currently drinking a CB that I kegged about 6 weeks ago. My extraction was very poor but still came out 4.2ABV. I followed the recipe closely but then I dry hopped with 4oz Coriander crushed and 4 oz of dried mint. Becoming very drinkable now. A definite bittering dry to mouth taste, not much in the way of head retention. I will try it again but only in a 5 gal batch.
The partial mash (or all extract, can't remember) I brewed laced very nicely. I thought it was a great lawnmower beer and my wife loved it. She's not into IPAs, but likes Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, go figure.

I brew CB as my first all grain and I'm excited to see how it compares since the hop utilization should be a bit different and there's no extract in it. Also was my first temp controlled fermentation.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just brewed this Sunday. When tasting the wort right before racking to the fermenter, it tasted a little bitter, but nothing yeast and time won't take care of. Racking to secondary tomorrow, then cold crashing and kegging next weekend. Hope to taste this soon.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I am having a hard time with the concept that anyone would describe this beer as bitter. To me, while not necessarily subtle, I found the hops to be sublime and every sip made me smile. Every pour resulted in a pillowy white, long-lasting head and lacing that lasted until the glass was washed. My first keg of this is likely to kick today and I am already preparing to brew a 10 gallon batch.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The bitterness I experienced was right after it was chilled to pitch temp and before it went into the fermenter. As I mentioned, I think the yeast and a little time will balance everything out. Took a taste test when I racked to secondary and already things are evening out.

"Mash it, Boil it, Ferment it, Drink it"

Increasing your Mash Efficiency

Quick Reply