Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > CDA questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Just to toss in a differing opinion, I like my CDAs or Black IPAs or whatever you call them to be as much like an IPA as possible so I like a Carafa III or Breiss Midnight Wheat without any roast barley or chocolate malt. But, again, depends on what you want.

That said, I like where you're going but I think it could be simplified. I would drop the Carared entirely, or drop the combo of that and the C-60 down to 10% total or less. With less Crystal malt you can drop the sugar too if you mash low. Also, not sure three ounces of flaked oats is going to do much. They won't hurt, but at that small of an amount it might be tough to determine if they are actually contributing anything to your beer. Just a few thoughts.

Also, Galaxy is one of my new favorite hops! I like it with Cascade but Citra will do pretty much the same thing for ya.

I hate Walder Frey...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
MG1602
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
Just to toss in a differing opinion, I like my CDAs or Black IPAs or whatever you call them to be as much like an IPA as possible so I like a Carafa III or Breiss Midnight Wheat without any roast barley or chocolate malt. But, again, depends on what you want.

That said, I like where you're going but I think it could be simplified. I would drop the Carared entirely, or drop the combo of that and the C-60 down to 10% total or less. With less Crystal malt you can drop the sugar too if you mash low. Also, not sure three ounces of flaked oats is going to do much. They won't hurt, but at that small of an amount it might be tough to determine if they are actually contributing anything to your beer. Just a few thoughts.

Also, Galaxy is one of my new favorite hops! I like it with Cascade but Citra will do pretty much the same thing for ya.
I have made an IPA with a touch of roasted barley, and it was real nice. Personally, I would use c120 instead of 60 with either roasted barley or some black patent. I agree with the galaxy/ citra comment. Little redundant, but whatever works. Maybe sub some centennial for the galaxy. Cen/citra/columbus combo

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'd probably drop the carared too. I find it to be very sweet tasting - but not really malty. If you're looking for a little complexity in the crystal malts, you could split the 1# of 60 into .5 of 10 and .5 of 60 or something like that.

ETA - if you want a touch or roasty, but don't want that acrid taste that dark malts give, you could cold steep the black malts and then add that to the boil. From what I've read (haven't done this yet personally) you roughly double the black malts, and steep em in cold water for a couple hours. You get the flavors without the harshness.

Let us know how it goes - whatever you decide.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The thing is I ordered some of my grain bill and tried to supplement it with what I had on hand. I have plenty of base grains, chocolate malt, carared, crystal 60, some crystal 10, flaked oats, flaked wheat, i think some munich as well. If I can avoid ordering more specialty grains I will.

As for the hops I can mix things up a bit. I have some chinook on hand, a ton of cascade, lots of citra, nelson sauvin, columbus, galaxy, and willamette.

Ill have to do some reading on the steeping of the dark malts in cold water, it definitely sounds worth while. I will probably spend some time tonight tinkering with it on beersmith and let you guys know what I come up with.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
MG1602
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliterunner1
The thing is I ordered some of my grain bill and tried to supplement it with what I had on hand. I have plenty of base grains, chocolate malt, carared, crystal 60, some crystal 10, flaked oats, flaked wheat, i think some munich as well. If I can avoid ordering more specialty grains I will.

As for the hops I can mix things up a bit. I have some chinook on hand, a ton of cascade, lots of citra, nelson sauvin, columbus, galaxy, and willamette.

Ill have to do some reading on the steeping of the dark malts in cold water, it definitely sounds worth while. I will probably spend some time tonight tinkering with it on beersmith and let you guys know what I come up with.
Stick with chocolate and 60, and throw in that willamette! I love that hop!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliterunner1 View Post

Gordon Strong on the Beersmith Podcast.

They start talking about it around 18:00.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
MG1602
Recipes 

You might even try putting some two row in oven for 30 min @ 350 for some amber malt!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So this is what I think I'm going to do:

9# Marris Otter
1# Crystal 60l
.50# sugar
.75# flaked oats
.25# Carafa III

Cold steep 4 oz chocolate malt 12 hours before I brew.

FWH .5 oz of citra and columbus
1oz columbus@60 min
1.5 oz of columbus and citra at flameout-whirlpool

Mash at 148 f for 75 minutes. Single infusion batch sparge.

Quick Reply