Alright, I admit that I wussed out of doing an AG but I came close... I decided last minute to do an APA. My recipe is posted below - I ended up using 2 lbs of light LME to bring it up to a 5 gal. batch instead of 4. The recipator calculated my SRM at around 7, but my actual color is like a Killian's I think it's from the biscuit malt but if you guys have some input I'd appreciate it. Oh, I'm also proud because I exceeded my efficiency hopes and dreams of 70% (my actual effic. was 73 ).
Cascade Pale Ale
Beer: Cascade Pale Ale Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Partial mash Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 31 IBU
OG: 1.045 FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 1.5 lb. German Vienna
1.5 lb. German Munich
4.0 oz. Belgian biscuit
6.0 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
3.0 oz. Flaked barley
2.0 lb. American 2-row
Mash: 73% efficiency
Heat 1.8 gal water to 152° F with grains submerged in bag. Remove pot from heat and wrap in blankets for 60 min. I ended up heating it once more to 155 F. Sparge with 2 gal water at 175° F into fermentor bucket. I then ran the bucket back thru the strainer filled with grains in a grain bag and did a final sparge of 1 gal at 170 F.
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.048 4.75 gallons
2.0 lb. Light malt extract
Irish moss at 20 min.
Hops: 0.5 oz. Yakima Magnum (13.1% AA, 60 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)
Yeast: Toss on cake of US 56