*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Carbonation in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
mkarnas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation in secondary

Day 7 in the secondary (day 14 overall) for a blonde ale and substantial carbonation is visible in one of the carboys. Pulled a sample to get a reading and CO2 bubbles coming from my sample and visible in carboy. Is this normal? I've never seen this. You can see CO2 coming to the top of the carboy. It was a heavier blonde at a 1.060 OG. Why is the other carboy of the same batch not doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That's not carbonation but more likely residual fermentation. That can happen for many reasons.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 210

The fermentation process creates a lot of gasses that remain in suspension to some degree. Changes in pressure, bumping the vessel, temperature can all affect their release from suspension and that is what you are seeing, off gassing. perhaps in drawing the sample you bumped the vessel or removal of the air lock changed the pressure within. What ever it is I would not worry about it and it is not carbonation of the beer.

For CO2 production you either need to add sugar for the yeast to consume or introduce it by kegging it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
mkarnas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord
That's not carbonation but more likely residual fermentation. That can happen for many reasons.
I was going to cold crash it today and keg it tomorrow. Shall I wait a couple days? Gravity reading have been the same last 2 days, but bubbles are still present and little airlock activity.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnas

I was going to cold crash it today and keg it tomorrow. Shall I wait a couple days? Gravity reading have been the same last 2 days, but bubbles are still present and little airlock activity.
If the gravity readings are stable and you know the beer is done fermenting then it's just off gassing and you can cold crag whenever you want.

If you are not 100% sure it's done fermenting then you need to wait.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
tcbailey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I struggled with what looked like continued fermentation in my secondaries. Turned out I be a different conversion - most likely ethanol to acetic acid (happens with warm temps and excess oxygen getting in during transfer to secondary). Since I don't have a lagering setup, I now just do extended primary and rack to keg. Have not seen it since.

Quick Reply