Carapils, Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
I am curious regarding some recipes i see. I understand carapils is used for head retention and body, adding unfermentables without affecting the taste. I also understand mash temp, simply put, also affects the fermentables in the wort which affects the body/ mouthfeel. 147-149* supports a lighter body, higher fermentable wort and 156-158 the opposite. What i don't understand is the addition of carapils in a beer that is mashed low (147-150) and is supposed to be dry/ light in body. Aside from a "head retention", why the addition of carapils?? If it is for body, why not just mash a couple of degrees higher?

Am i missing something?

Take a look at this video from Bobby_M:

As I understand it, caramalts have a lot of the branching polysaccharides, with few of the long sections available for alpha amylase to cleave and few branches long enough for beta to lop, so they don't respond to mashing much. Carapils does look especially silly in AG recipes with simple sugar....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back