Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can't I just use a grain bag in a cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've done 20+ batches that way. It works well and it's cheap and simple. I do have a ball valve on the cooler, but no manifold/false bottom. My last few batches are at about 82%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
It's dead easy to convert a cooler and in the long run you'll be happy you did. If I can do it, _anyone_ can do it! See dennybrew.com for details.
Are you the Denny from dennybrew.com?

If you are:

I found that page when I was researching all-grain, and found it to be very helpful, and in simple terms...I like the "cheap and easy" approach.

Edit: I just clicked on your homepage link on your profile; you are indeed "The Denny", kudos to you sir!

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Last edited by kinison_fan; 12-18-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
GinAndCoffee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm just now getting to understand all-grain brewing. I really like when I can break seemingly complex processes with a lot of jargon (sparge, mash-tun, lauter-tun) into their basic components (i.e. "extract sugars from grain by placing in hot water for an hour").

By doing a "bare bones" sort of deal with a cooler and a grain bag, I can witness firsthand the problems (if there are any) of the process, then assess firsthand what sorts hardware I should install to make the process go smoother.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I was using my 5 gallon drinking cooler with a 5g paint strainer beg with c clamps to keep the bag open, then i would mash in, remove the clamps, and replace the lid, then wait my desired conversion time, sparge and boil. It worked like a champ until I put together the ball valve with braided hose in. The brew in a bag works well.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

here is mine:

It actually can be used without the bag, but I find it much easier to clean with the bag:

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #16
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup I do all grain with an unmodified 5 gal cooler and 1 5-gal paint strainer bag. You don't need any ball valves or false bottoms or any of that stuff. The bag can be bought at Lowes/HomeDepot in the paint section for $2.

Put the bag in the cooler, pour 10lb grain into the bag, heat 13 qt water to 169F, pour in, stir until you get the desired temp (155-150F, stir longer for cooler temp), mash for an hour (stir every 20 min), lift bag out, dump the wort out into your kettle, put bag & wet grain back into cooler, add 12 qt 174F water, stir and drain into kettle 10 min later.

This is the easiest way to do all grain that I know of, and its how I have done my last 10 batches or so. Efficiency is in the high 80's most times, but make sure to tell your shop to crush your grain pretty fine.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #17
GinAndCoffee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sweet... so why aren't we telling new home brewers how easy it is to brew with just a cooler and a grain bag?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #18
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinAndCoffee View Post
Sweet... so why aren't we telling new home brewers how easy it is to brew with just a cooler and a grain bag?
I honestly have no idea and it pisses me the f*ck off!

I so often see someone say that they want to go from partial mashing to all grain and some brewer will start telling them how they need to build their water profile and get a fly sparge arm and show them a stupid brew sculpture bah bah freakin' blah! That's such BS! Sure, you can do all that to really get 100% control over your process, but for most folks, a cooler/bag setup is a cheap and very effective way to get into all grain.

I've shown 2 friends how to brew with the cooler/bag method and they love it. One friend has never even brewed w/ extract at all, she started right with all grain with this method! And she just started drinking a summer wheat ale she made that to me, is slightly BETTER than Sam Adam's Summer Wheat.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
I honestly have no idea and it pisses me the f*ck off!

I so often see someone say that they want to go from partial mashing to all grain and some brewer will start telling them how they need to build their water profile and get a fly sparge arm and show them a stupid brew sculpture bah bah freakin' blah! That's such BS! Sure, you can do all that to really get 100% control over your process, but for most folks, a cooler/bag setup is a cheap and very effective way to get into all grain.

I've shown 2 friends how to brew with the cooler/bag method and they love it. One friend has never even brewed w/ extract at all, she started right with all grain with this method! And she just started drinking a summer wheat ale she made that to me, is slightly BETTER than Sam Adam's Summer Wheat.
+!, I have brewed about 15 extract batches so far. Every time I thought about going AG, I would read about all the eqipment needed & I would just brew another extract batch. Well; after reading about BIAB, cooler/bag, & Deathbrewers stove top methods; my next batch is going to be AG. I already bought the paint bags from HD

Old 12-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan View Post
Are you the Denny from dennybrew.com?

If you are:

I found that page when I was researching all-grain, and found it to be very helpful, and in simple terms...I like the "cheap and easy" approach.

Edit: I just clicked on your homepage link on your profile; you are indeed "The Denny", kudos to you sir!
Guilty as charged! Thanks, glad to be able to help.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply