Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Canned Pumpkin Puree?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
jmoore77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well this brew didn't quit go as planned...Because it took so long to stir in the grains and purée I missed my mash temp by 10 degrees low. I also ended up with a stuck mash after about 1 1/2 gallons of draining. My OG was also .011 low giving me a 59% efficiency which I assume because of my low mash temp and sticking issue. Then to top it off after 3 days of fermenting the lid blew off my fermenter and made a nice mess to clean up in my fermenting cooler lol...So I cleaned the lid and recapped it and hoping for the best!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #32
dtadpole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked my pumpkin ale off to secondary today, I used 3 30oz. cans of Libby's pumpkin mix, and 1 pound of rice hulls also. One thing I didn't account for when mashing was the temp. of the pumpkin mix, ended up undershooting my mash temp by 10 degrees. I raised it to 152, and I think that this made me a little more easily fermented sugars and put my FG at 1.006 instead of 1.011 that was expected. The Original Gravity was 1.053, gave me around 6.2% abv.
To note the taste of the pumpkin was awesome, I ended up spicing it with the usual pumpkin spice in the secondary so will see in 2 weeks how it tastes then. Can't wait for this beer to finish!
Used US-05 for the yeast.

On Deck: Honey Weizen,Eight O'clock Coffee Stout, White River Lager.
Primary -Air
Secondary - Tad of Pumpkin Ale
Lagering - ~
Kegged - wishing I had some!
Bottled: none :-(
Drunk/Drank LOL!:Oh! Clementine Wheat, APA,Speckled Heifer,Pilsner,Cream Ale,Dry Irish Stout

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore77 View Post
Well this brew didn't quit go as planned...Because it took so long to stir in the grains and purée I missed my mash temp by 10 degrees low. I also ended up with a stuck mash after about 1 1/2 gallons of draining. My OG was also .011 low giving me a 59% efficiency which I assume because of my low mash temp and sticking issue. Then to top it off after 3 days of fermenting the lid blew off my fermenter and made a nice mess to clean up in my fermenting cooler lol...So I cleaned the lid and recapped it and hoping for the best!!!
Well that "blows". At least you had it contained. If it had happened to me, it would have repainted the walls and I'd probably be divorced.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 19

So i have a question for you guys doing pumpkin beers, what the hell is with the stuff in the beer!

My Thunderstruck Ale has aged in the primary for 2 weeks, then transferred into the secondary and its been a week and i just noticed yesterday almost nothing is settling, but there are hundreds of bits of something(yeast?) just floating suspended not moving at all in the beer. I was careful not to get too much sediment from the primary, but of course your always going to get some.

My plan is to cold crash it down to like 40f starting tonight in hopes all of that drops out?

Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you boil pumpkin, if so it could be pumpkin particulates. And I don't think, they will settle. Sorry. My pumpkin recipe begins with 6 pounds of pumpkin, I use a baking pumpkin. I follow Alton Brown's directions for roasting. I mash with the pumpkin and to avoid temp loss heat the puree with the strike water. For spices I use fresh whole spice not a blend. I use cinnamon, all spice, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger and 1 whole clove. I add it at the 5 minutes left in the boil. When it comes to spicing its always better to under spice than over spice.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I used baked pumpkin puree in the mash, and I didn't have any strange floaters in my primary. It proceeded exactly like any other beer.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I'm going to be working on a batch of what I hope will be a pumpkin beverage of some sort. I've got some cans of Farmers Market organic pumpkin and some Eden barley malt syrup from the store, and hoping to use this with some sugar cane and danstar windsor yeast.

Reason: Market not table

Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #38
dtadpole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
So i have a question for you guys doing pumpkin beers, what the hell is with the stuff in the beer!

My Thunderstruck Ale has aged in the primary for 2 weeks, then transferred into the secondary and its been a week and i just noticed yesterday almost nothing is settling, but there are hundreds of bits of something(yeast?) just floating suspended not moving at all in the beer. I was careful not to get too much sediment from the primary, but of course your always going to get some.

My plan is to cold crash it down to like 40f starting tonight in hopes all of that drops out?
Didn't notice any floaters while transfering but today I did stick a light in there and after I secondaried it last night and added some more spice, I did see some spice clumps, let us know how the cold crash turns out, I also planned to cold crash mine just to clear it a bit more.

On Deck: Honey Weizen,Eight O'clock Coffee Stout, White River Lager.
Primary -Air
Secondary - Tad of Pumpkin Ale
Lagering - ~
Kegged - wishing I had some!
Bottled: none :-(
Drunk/Drank LOL!:Oh! Clementine Wheat, APA,Speckled Heifer,Pilsner,Cream Ale,Dry Irish Stout

Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
nvrlateinz28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
You know who else does? SOUTHERN TIER! There is NO pumpkin in Pumpking
Yeah no.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/stbc/our-bee...ing-beer-page/

on the Southern Tier pumpking page it lists pumpkin right after the malts used. And right on the label in says "Ale brewed with pumpkin"

And the video above show the brewer adding pumpkin puree to the mash.

So yeah I would say that is enough proof that pumking has actual pumpkin in it.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
ToastedPenguin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew an imperial pumpkin ale, this being the second year with the same recipe. For a 11g batch I use 9lbs of canned pumpkin.puree and add rice hulls to the mlt. I have a rectangular mlt with a cpvc manifold and have never had a stuck sparge. I heat the puree to mash temp in the oven and then stir it into the mash. The pumpkin pretty much liquifies if you stir it well.

Bottled: Nada
Kegged & OnTap: Bad Santa Stout, Jeep Trail Brown Ale, Red Skies at Night American Red, Panty Dropper Hard Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I'd go with the 2". You can always stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if your worried about hot/cold spots. You will be hitting the 6+" with everything...ask Ron Jeremy!

Quick Reply